Menu
Looking for info: Moving to Shanghai with personal goods & car
Sep 4, 2007 23:44
  • DAVID224
Hi, I just got a job offer to work in Shanghai and I will be moving in about 6 months. I am thinking of bringing a car over along with some of my personal goods. Has anyone ever imported a car before? The car will be for personal use and I am thinking of keeping it for at least 2 years. A friend of mine told me that I "might" be able to import the car without having to pay for duty because I am relocating because of work.... does anyone know where I can find more information?
Sep 5, 2007 02:46
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Sorry, I don't know whether you can bring your car or not. But I know you have to take a test and change your driving licence to a local one when you are in Shangha
Sep 14, 2007 10:33
  • JABAROOTOO
Why not buy one here. It's probably more trouble than it is worth.
Is yours Left hand drive? If not you will have a very hard time.
Yes you need a Chinese Licence before you can legally drive here.
Another fun little exercise for us in the land of luck dip licences!!!!
Sep 14, 2007 23:30
  • AL32
Hi, about a year ago, I did some research on the cost and even the possibility to bring a car into China.
I will tell you right away: forget about it; it's not worth it and might not even be accepted (or legal do so).

Cars are on a Chinese list of forbidden import goods. Ok, there might be a way (and this is a really big MIGHT); if you're ready to give someone at the gouvernement money (bribe?!- and good luck finding that one person) and IF this a done, the normal rate is I believe in the order of 60% of the current value of you car. I read about this about a year ago so I might be off a little bit in my numbers, but here's an example anyway:

Your car brand new was 30,000$ (pounds or RMB...whatever value)
now after 3 years has gone down in the books to 20,000$
that means that the Chinese gouvernement will ask you fees in the order of 12,000$ to allow you to import it.
And that is after the "gift" to your contact at the gouvernement, after your shipping fees which by boat can be in the order of 3,000-4,000$ (from NY let's say) and your insurances. So you're roughly looking at paying the current value of you car to bring it over....

If your car as a really low value, let's say 4,000$, why would anyone think of paying the same price to ship it? Once there, a used car will need repairs and the parts will most likely not be available anywhere except if you order them from oversea and get them FedEx'd to you...you can count at least, one week b4 getting the parts, ordering (phone calls) and shipping charges and once over in China, who tells you that the shop will have the knowledge to install them; maybe electronics parts/sensors nowasays in cars...

Ask around, but I believe also remembering of someone telling me that Chinese-made brand new cars can be bought for as little of RMB 20,000 (~3,000$) and up. And something like a small Honda car wouls cost you about the same as in Europe or America....

Oh, and if you car worth so much to you sentimentally, what do you think it's gonna look like after spending 2 weeks in a container with humid sea water vapor, sand all over, all its metal parts oxidized and maybe a few dents on the side pannels from the guys driving your car onto the boat? Do you trust that guys and his hability to drive your car without doing burnouts and handbreak moves on the deck???

Anyway, long answer which I hope or think should convince you...it did convinced me anyway at the time...

Cars stink anyway; use a bicycle!!!! Me saying that!! - I can't believe it !
...I love cars....but I like bikes too!! But I won't be missing the speeding tickets, insurances, licensing fees, traffic jams, ..... .... starting next month....

Again, i hope this helps

Good luck!

/ AL
Sep 14, 2007 23:57
  • AL32
Hi again,

Here's some reading: for you there are 3 pages in that forum and many valuable comments from what seems like trustable moderators.

http://forum.tdctrade.com/forum/Forum7/HTML/000120.html

As you read, you will quickly realize that it is finally almost impossible to get the authorization to bring a used car in. And like I mentionned above IF you're lucky, count up to 50-60% of the value as fees (not including prior and after inspections or shipping itself).

As for the part of a job or "company car", I believe that it would also be a very hard thing to do; it might be a case where it is OK'ed only for specific work use or something like in the case of a highly modified vehicule with special equipment for example. Bref, I doubt it is possible to do..anyway you approach it... You might just be out of luck.

Sell it before leaving and you'll have chips for years and years of cheap China cabs...
;-P

/ AL
Sep 15, 2007 05:54
  • DODGER
IMO Al is correct in this.
Import duty on cars is very high into China.
The driving style is also a little diffrent too so be carfull at roundabouts as they seem to go both ways.
Dodger
Sep 18, 2007 23:32
  • LADYMAGGIC
Good advice...bringing a car is not a good way to go...public transport is very cheap here...I use the local tri-wheels and they are 50c a ride..

I posted my belongings over..all other ways seemed too expensive. The sea post was the cheapest, and believe it or not..the last box got here this week...all safe.
Make sure they are well covered in sticky tape...mine were.

Good luck...
Maggi
Sep 20, 2007 09:43
  • APAULT
I would love to have a car here, public transport does not easily get me off the beaten track...and it is so difficult to find out where the buses go to, the writing on thw front never seems to match what's on the map!

But it is oh so difficult... maybe worthwhile if u plan to live here for a few years.

Of course if you will have a wellpaid job (ie paid from home with a 'hardship' allowance), it is much easier. You simply buy a car locally (maybe in someone else's name) and employ a driver.
Sep 30, 2007 19:05
  • WCTMAN
There are only two kinds of vehicles I would drive here in China: 1) a $200 beater or 2) a Hummer.

Nah, forget the Hummer. An endless supply of disposal $200 wrecks would be the best way to go.
Post a Reply to: Looking for info: Moving to Shanghai with personal goods & car
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code