Menu
How do Western cultures generally view hierarchy?
Sep 7, 2007 03:46
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Every society has hierarchy to some extent. That is to say, some people have higher rank and more power than others, perhaps it is because they are stronger, wealthier or older. On the other hand, modern society highlights that equality is a virtue. In China, there is a very rigid hierarchy system. How do your westerners generally view hierarchy? Do you generally have less respect for seniority--age, position and power?
Sep 7, 2007 05:36
  • DODGER
Franky,
it is surely about who is the best at leader and not about making sure that their families are OK.
It is not about age or enything else but just about the best leader that there is to choose from.
Dodger.
Sep 10, 2007 04:56
  • LEOPOLD219
China is a society with a very rigid hierarchy system. It has something to do with its long history of feudal society. After Qinshihuang, the first Emperor of Qin Dynasty annexed the six states of the Warring States Period, the central concentration system was reinforced. The supremacy of feudal emperors had been strenghthened in the following dynasties. The hierarchy system has been rooted in Chinese culture.
Sep 11, 2007 05:04
  • ICEBLUE
Traditional Chinese culture give prominence to the seniority. Probably, western cultures also emphasize the seniority. Considering the structure of Western government, it is dominated by fledged old faces.
Sep 16, 2007 11:30
  • AL32
Which hierarchy are we talking about here? Gouvernment, family, companies? As Dodger said, age has 'almost' nothing to do with it. In general, Western culture hierarchy is based on knowledge and hability to lead. If you see many old faces in Western gouvernement it is just because they are often retired business men that decide to try their chance at politics and it also takes a lot of money to be a candidate....especially in the USA.

But here in Canada, there are a lot of exceptions to these rules; I personally news a few duputies in their 20's at the house of commons. That is because Canada as impose monetary limits to the election system; so one doesn't need millions to get a gouvernement position. You need leadership, good moral values, ideas and many people to support you...

But hierarchy is not only a question of government and politics.

But IMO Westeners are definately not placing seniority as high as on the hierarchy scale as Chinese do.
We do not associate age and power or knowledge.

And again, 'power' mainly comes from the personal habilty to lead and manage; which you often lose as you get older....

We respect senior people but their voice and knowledge is often ignore by the population in general. I definately believe that we would benefit from giving more importance to them.
Sep 16, 2007 14:23
  • PETERJOHN
Age is not nearly as important here. Of course, we are taught to respect our elders, but of highest importance is experience, and the ability to put innovative plans into action. Have they shown the ability to accomplish things? If so, they will do well.

In fact, performance is so important, that even someone who is young, with no college education can become very wealthy (for example, Bill Gates -- he left college before finishing his degree; of course, he's not young anymore).

But to answer your question more specifically, hierarchies are considered by many in America to be a "necessary evil." In some contexts, they are highly valuable, and necessary, such as in the military. But in general, the less visible the hierarchy, the happier the people are, I believe.

A very big part of the American mindset is that anyone (and I do mean anyone) can become as successful as they want, if they are willing to work hard, stay flexible and are willing to learn. It is common for mothers to tell their children, "one day, you might become the President!"

Even if people never reach the pinnacle of success, they still feel happier just knowing that it is a possibility if they want to work hard at it. But that is also a reason that foreign immigrants often become much more successful in America than we Americans do... they say," all I have to do is work hard and make smart decisions and I can be successful? OK!"
Sep 16, 2007 22:11
  • LEONARDO
Quote:

"A very big part of the American mindset is that anyone (and I do mean anyone) can become as successful as they want, if they are willing to work hard, stay flexible and are willing to learn. It is common for mothers to tell their children, "one day, you might become the President!"

PETERJOHN,

I interpret what you said as "American Dream"--anyone who works hard can climb to the high society. In your understanding, the precondition is that "they are willing to work hard, stay flexible and are willing to learn." In fact, I guess that many Americans do have the strong will to work hard and seek a better life. However, sometimes, it does matter whether you are from "rich families" (or upper class) or "poor families"(or lower class). If you were born in a poor family, from the moment when you were born, you have been deprived of some rights and opportunities you should enjoy as to the children from the rich families: the rights to receive good education and to be dignified. That is to say, from the moment of the birth, you might have been left behind, your possibility to become successful has been diminished in comparison to the rich kids.

I know that " American Dream" has always been rooted in average Americans' minds, and in different era, American Dream has different definitions. Since the early settlement era, your forefathers, the Puritans, came to the new land in the hope of building " A City upon the Hill". a community of material and spiritual perfection. In that era, some Americans did become successful and rich through their hard work. However, there were more people whose "American Dreams" disilusioned than those who succeeded.

Sep 16, 2007 22:12
  • LEONARDO
As to your statement that "It is common for mothers to tell their children, 'one day, you might become the President!'", this is still an expression of "American Dream". I can't deny the fact that there were several presidents who were from poor and humble background. President Lincoln was the most eximious representative of the " Grassroot President", but such case is rare.

Then, as for your idea " foreign immigrants often become much more successful in America than we Americans do... they say," all I have to do is work hard and make smart decisions and I can be successful? OK!"

I have to say you probably have only seen the bright side of the state of foreign immigrants in US. It is true that some foreign immigrants became more successful than native Americans, but the big picture is that most immigrants are probably still living at the bottom of American society. I have read a book The Working Poor invisible in America written by a Native American based on his research on tens of thousands of working poor in US. In his book, there was no composite characters. The book was reliable. One sentence impressed me most is that " For the poor, work hard doesn't work". So, my point is that there is a distinct hierarchical difference in America, sometimes it is obvious and visible, sometimes it is opaque or invisible.
Sep 17, 2007 05:01
  • JOHNNY512
The disillusionment of "American Dream" frequently occured in the group of immigrants in America. For many minorities, the "myth of American Dream' is always a paradox. I agree with you, Leonardo, "Sometimes, work hard doesn't work" in the US.
Sep 17, 2007 05:33
  • DODGER
All,
I understand the "American Dream' It brought some 30 million immigrants to the States in a 25 year period at the begining of the 20th century .
Some won and some lost but they all had the same chance.
Old Europe did not offer them that chance to be able by their own labour, to win or loose. There all lost.
This country is far from perfect, but still many people want to move there. And by any means that they can!
South America has the same amount of natual resorces but have failed. Argentine had the same GDP as Australia 50 years ago and has now sliped to the level of a third World country.With a gap between the rich and poor that is greater than most countries.
All countries have some sort of class system. Most invisible to the eye. But it is there.
Take a look at the UK where the same families have ruled since the Norman invasion.
Dodger.
Sep 18, 2007 04:40
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Actually, there are more dream-seekers who are disillusioned with American Dream than those who realized the dream. That is the tragedy of " American Dream".
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do Western cultures generally view hierarchy?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code