Menu
Chinese Legend Tells: Nv Wa Created the Human
Sep 11, 2007 02:09
  • MAY001
Source: About.com

Chinese legend has it that in remote antiquity there were no humans when a god called Pan Gu broke the chaotic universe and split the heaven and earth apart. Then a goddess named Nv Wa began to make clay figurines after Pan Gu and herself. After several days of hard work, man and woman were created. And more than that, she also gave the law of marriage to keep human behaviors within bounds. First, the man should ask a matchmaker to talk about the marriage with the woman's family. Then when they agreed he should send some gifts as to show his sincerity. Last, the woman should move to the man's home since food and protection was provided by him.

Nv Wa was so gentle and considerate that she later invented some string instruments such as Sheng and Huang. Later in the north came a evil god called Gong Gong who wanted to flood the world. Nv Wa directed her subordinate and the people and defeated Gong Gong. But Gong Gong bumped into the Buzhou Mountain, which propped up the heaven and split it a hole. So she smelted some five colored stones and patched up the sky. Thus people could live peacefully afterwards. This story is so well known that the novel, Dream of Red Mansions, drew materials from this part.

Sep 11, 2007 10:57
  • WINDENERGY
Ah, the simplicity of Chinese legends. I guess in a simple world it is easy to believe in these simple myths. Chinese culture, it appears, is deeply rooted in these simple myths. This is what keeps marriage such a sacred and revered tradition to all Chinese people. I just learned about the idea that marraige is an eternal act and lasts beyond the span of just one lifetime.

These legends live in the minds and hearts Chinese people, it makes this culture so innocent, so simple and so alluring. I'm afraid that the charms and idealogy of it all has weaved it's web into my heart and I am yearning to believe and trust in these tails. For better or worse, I still make a lucky wish when the first star appears in the evening sky. Because to believe is to have culture and having culture, according to Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth, is to deny death and heartache.

So, I am happily listening to a Chinese melody while I write this and am happy. My ladyfriend, Li Hong Yan sent me this email which is a very soothing message for those of you who can read Chinese:

http://zhongqiu.8wish.com/?stra=%u865E%u534E%u6797

I hope other members find happiness within the message,

__WINDENERGY__
Sep 11, 2007 20:12
  • MAY001
Thanks for sharing us the msg your friend sent to you, wind. It's a nice one to remind me the coming Mid Autumn Festival. Maybe next time we can discuss some tales about the Mid Autumn Festival ^_^
Post a Reply to: Chinese Legend Tells: Nv Wa Created the Human
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code