I want to sell up in England and move to my wifes home city of Chongqing - but where do I begin?
Sep 13, 2007 08:14
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Jul 2, 2007
  • Status: offline
I could type on forever with questions I'd like to ask, as there are so many 'unknowns' regarding moving to China - such as:
Will I be allowed to buy property straight away, or is there a qualifying period, even though I am married to a Chinese girl? If you've done it, or if you know of any good websites etc. I would be very grateful. Many thanks
Oct 23, 2007 00:45
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Jul 4, 2005
  • Status: Offline
Hi Pops,
I'm sure you'll find that your marriage gives you privileges that are not available to other foreigners. Just take the plunge and let your wife and her family help you through all the steps you need to take.

There is a reasonable expat community here as well so I'm sure you'll meet others you can hang out with if you feel you need to.

Welcome to Chongqing
Oct 24, 2007 00:07
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Sep 30, 2007
  • Status: Offline
You know whats funny? There are so many of us Westerners who if given the chance move to China while there are so many Native Chinese who want out.
Oct 25, 2007 10:15
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
Maybe not so strange, within any group people are looking for different things.
Oct 26, 2007 03:29
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Jul 24, 2007
  • Status: Offline
DESTRUCKDOZ words really struck a cord in me. I, for one, like my stay in China and do really miss the place when I'm back home. In my line of work, I see the passion of the Chinese wanting to go out. Its like the pent up energy in the society wanting to see what's going on out there. I guess there must be certain similarities among us in this forum, and our working background that place us at the floodgate of people between China and our origins. So i think such observations are both acute and relevant.
Nov 15, 2007 11:07
GUESTROBERT ... 9 Tir Ysgol
Prospect Place
SA15 3Sg

Tel: 01554 778354|baiyumin

I am married to a girl from Chongqing for 4 years. We live in Wales and I have bought my mother in Laws house in
Jiangbai Chonqing.

We went over on holisays in Septmeber to see her family and bought the house at the same time. We sent the money to her Sistres bank account and when we arrived we tranferred it to another bank account to pay for it.

I guess you are retired and I believe you can have your pension tranferred to that country for you to live off. I sure you could find a part itme job teaching or something similare to boost your income a bit.HOpe you will cotact us and share experiences.

yurs sincereley

Robert and yu min James
May 11, 2008 23:10
GUEST19352 You can buy in Chongqing , things to consider are health insurance, visa length most times you can only get 180 days at one time . A` good way is to consider opening a small business etc this can be done quite easily. Teaching english can be one way but does not suit everybody and pays very badly in Chongqing , the other thing to remember is costs are going up very fast . Also housing standards from bothh a build point of view and the fittings are not upto uk standards and warranty is not as strong .
Post a Reply to: I want to sell up in England and move to my wifes home city of Chongqing - but where do I begin?
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code