Menu
Z visa: single entry only!? Ant idea on how/if I cam make it multiple?
Sep 18, 2007 23:46
  • AL32
Hi there, I just got my Z-visa 2 days ago (finally!!) and to my surprise, I was told (when i applied for it) that z visas are only issued as single-entry. this is too bad because I thought that since I will be in China for at least a year, it would be wise for me to ask for a multiple-entry one.

And since I already had to F-visa issued to me last year while I was at my previous job, I thought that would be no problem getting it --> this is just to mention that the first time ever that someone ask for visa of any type, only single-entry is given/allowed.

So any experts on this among you guys and gals that could tell me how I could obtain the multiple-entry one?

As I understand it, z-visa is issued for 12 months and like Apault already mentionned, there are some short (15 days) possible at the end for personal travel and/or short trips/departure preparation matter. I could be wrong, but I believe that my visa only states the issue date and the date that I have to enter the country by. Under the "duration of each stays" line, there is only 000 -most probably since it is single entry.

The lady at the Embassy mentionned something about me having to wait 1 month after entering the country and it will then be possible to change it, but without explaining me more.

So what are your thoughts/experience on this?
Not that it is an urgent matter, but a trip to Hong Kong or Macao might eventually be on my traveling wish list....

Thanks in advance for your answers.

/ AL
Sep 19, 2007 01:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Dear Al,

Relax!!!!
If you have a Z visa, this means that you have been officially invited to work in the country. It (the Visa) is only valid for 30 days after your arrival date. You should register with your local police station within 24 hours of arrival and apply for your Foreign Residents Permit which requires taking a Medial Examination. All this will of course be undertaken by your Employment Unit.

Once you have your FRP you are free to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you wish while it is valid. If you choose to stay with the same work unit, they should renew it just before it expires and preferable before you leave the country at the end of the contract period.

If you choose to change jobs at the end of your contract you will need to apply for yet another Z visa and follow the same procedure again. There are some advantages in staying in one job for several years if one is fortunate to find a good working environment.

Hope this makes things clear for you.

J
Sep 19, 2007 01:46
  • AL32
Well, yes it clarifies many things; thanks Jaba.

So I wrongly assumed that the z-visa was my 12months pass into PRC. I've asked my Chinese employer about the residence permit before, but at the time, they only told me that once I get the z-visa sorted out, I will have no problem working and living in China --> I have to get used to those sometimes incomplete/unclear answers...

I did get a little note in my passport from the Embassy 'kindly' reminding me to apply for my residence permit within 30 days of my entry in order to avoid illegal stay. The school already told me that I will evantually get a free medical checkup in Beijing.I'm convinced that they will do all their best to sort out everything for me; so I wasn't worried at all.

Answers are sometimes scary yes, but I already know that Chinese people are the best at helping and fulfilling every foreigner's need.

And oh! I'm also dealing with a lady from the local gouvernement who has just asked me to call her on the night of my arrival; most probably in order to help me regarding the required quick registration with the police - which I was not aware of before reading your post..

So thanks again for your helpful reply J.

/ AL
Sep 19, 2007 07:03
  • APAULT
I differ slightly from what Jabaroo said. It is your employer's responsibilty to get the resident's permit and they have 30 days after your arrival to do this. And you must of course get the 'phsical exam' (health check) done first. I don't see any need for you to register within 24 hours. If you go directly to your employer they are respomsible for registering you. If you go to a hotel, they will register you for as long as you stay there, and at the next hotel. If you go to a friend's place they are responsible for this. But as 'you' have to complete formalities in 30 days you should not take too long getting to your employer.
Sep 19, 2007 10:42
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Paul,
Although I never said it was our responsibility to do think it is good to know what to expect. In hindsight for many of us...!

I am just going by my own personal experience. Last year I personally registered with the local police twice because I first came in on a tourist visa and was staying with friends, then when I later came back on my Z visa I just went and registered after I had been back for nearly a week because my school had still not taken my passport to do this.

It is the Employers responsibility to do all this but sometimes they are unaware of it. It happened to me at one school. I was the first teacher they had employed directly and full -time and despite my telling them on numerous occasions that there were a few things they needed to do and if they were unsure then to ask up the line with the people who were helping them get my invitation to work there in the first place.

Bottom line was that three months after my arrival I was hauled down to the PSB and asked to explain why I still did not have my Permit and why I had not registered with the local police station.

Well we all had egg on our faces. My answer was that I am the Foreigner here and 'know nothing' however I did suggest that the school needed to do things and they just didn't. A Fine was paid but not by me...................

Sep 19, 2007 10:44
  • AL32
Thanks Paul,

So it's even better if there is no 24 hours rush to go to the police station. I'll have enough dealing with the 12 hours jetlag, unpacking and getting something to eat ;-)

At least, now I know that the important thing is to get the residence permit and that this is what will allow me to exit and re-enter the country; not the visa [not directly anyway].

Again, I have no doubt in my mind that the school will sort out all of this for me as they've been very kind so far.

So thanks again for your clarification, and I will email you shortly to share your thoughts and concerns about the city I'm going to.

Cheers,

/ AL
Oct 6, 2007 15:32
  • REDROSES
I'm returning to HK and also Beijing/Guangzhou. My travel agent in US issued a multiple-entry visa. This is the first time I've applied for one. Perhaps a travel agent can follow through--but it will cost.
Oct 10, 2007 16:01
  • DALEKELLER
For information regarding travel visas, www.travisa.com.
Nov 16, 2008 22:54
GUEST16690 Hello Dear

Can somebody please help me that how i can get changed my z visa (single entry) into a multiple entry one.
And i have not registered with the local police yet and i am staying here for last three months. And what if i dont register with the local police is there any serious problem? Please guide me in this matter

Thanks
Nov 16, 2008 23:00
GUEST16690 well my employer want me to attend a meeting in germany with our respected customers and i got single entry z visa so how can i apply for the visa and what kind of formalities i have to go through?? Please help me in this matter

thanks

Taimoor
Nov 19, 2008 07:06
  • APAULT
Taimoor....... Please see what Jabaroo and I said earlier in this thread. Yes there is a problem, but it is primarily the employer's. You must get them to act immediatley....if they refuse, get a good translator and go to the PSB to explain. You CANNOT apply for the residence permit yourself. Have you done the health check? I

I guess there is a danger they could force you to exit China but it is primarily the employer's responsibility to apply for your residence permit so this should not happen. Even registering your residence is not yr responsibility but your host's..ie your employer.

A Z visa is always only single entry, but the replacement residence permit (effectively a visa by another name) will provide multiple entry.

Get onto your employer NOW!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Z visa: single entry only!? Ant idea on how/if I cam make it multiple?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code