Menu
National Holiday; can you introduce it to me?
Sep 20, 2007 20:25
  • AL32
Hi,

On October 1st, I will be returning to China for work. I know that it is a good timming for me to return on that date since it National holiday and that will give me some time to recover from the long plane ride and settle in my new place.

What I'd like to ask here is if you guys and gals could tell me more about this special time of the year.

How many vacation days do people usually get: 3 or 5?
I know about mooncakes, is there any other food for the occasion?
Do people lightup fireworks and firecrackers early in the morning?
Are people traveling to go see their familly out in the country side?
Should I expect to get stuck in traffic jams on October first when I travel on highway from Beijing to SJZ?
etc., etc. .... ....
can you please describe it more for me? Tell me more of the tradition at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance for your input

/ AL
Sep 21, 2007 00:53
  • JABAROOTOO
Dear Al,

Such bad timing. If you have the chance, stay in Beijing for a few days.

China has three significant holidays and it would often seem to us that the whole country is on the move during these times. It was initially like this to help stimulate the economy and give people a chance to go home to visit family.

But these days...........with dollars in their pockets................guess what!!!!!!!!!!1

It is officially three days but many take seven days max, but to get this long you have to work the weekend before in exchange for the extra two days. It's a long slog but it is kind of worth it.

I make sure my contracts exclude Sunday work and preferably no weekends but not always possible.

Autumn Moon Festival falls this week I think so you can still enjoy some Moon Cakes....Good luck - they are a bit of a lucky dip for flavour..........

You may hear some fireworks but they are although this is of course overlooked. not legal in much of the country anyway.

Enjoy your first National Day Holiday

J

Spring Festival falls on Feb 7th 2008
2 weeks holiday although you will most likely have more (check with your school - and good luck on that one - sometimes like pulling teeth so be persistent or ask your students - they are a mine of useful information which is sometimes slow to come your way otherwise)

Labour Day Holiday May 1st 3 days but stretched to 7

National Day Holiday Oct 1st 3 days but stretched to 7
Sep 21, 2007 03:12
  • FAERIEQUEENE
i think it's the week when most of the people go to the tourist attractions, countryside, or homelands, then the cities must be vacated...
Sep 21, 2007 05:03
GUEST21131 No, those who don't go to the tourist attractions, countryside, or homelands will flood onto the street. The city will be crowded as well.
Post a Reply to: National Holiday; can you introduce it to me?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code