Menu
Two tragedies: sins of fathers?
Sep 21, 2007 01:57
  • LEONARDO
August is a tumultuous month in China’s Shaanxi Province. Two unexpected tragedies befell two families. A father killed his mentally-disturbed son at Heyang County Shaanxi Province on August 5th. Six days later, (August 12,) a father from Lantian County, Xi’an City, killed his retarded son, and then killed himself. In ten days, three lives were ended. Two intact families were split up into pieces.

These two tragedies provoked hot argument in China. On one hand, should the fathers kill their ‘Problem sons’? Should the fathers be called ‘Criminals’ or ‘murderer’?Are the cases the sins of fathers? Do fathers have the right to deprive their sons of the right of life? One the other hand, the fathers did have their own hardships. They did try their best to change the destiny, but they felt helpless and desperate.

Ma Jianjun, who killed his mentally-disturbed son, told to the media that his son have suffered lunacy since the age of 5, he has spent most of the family’s income in treating his son’s illness, but it doesn’t take effect. When his son’s illness broke out, his son often became violent and beat others, sometimes caused injuries. As his son grown up, his wife and he had to become victims of his son’s fists. The father worried that his son would endanger the safety of the family members, so he took the ‘pre-emptive measures’ and killed his son.

Now, the father has been arrested and imprisoned in the house of detention in Xianyang City, Shaanxi Province. The folks are petitioning to the local court for the release of the cruel but merciful father. In China, there are still numerous “Such Special Troubled Families”. Their pangs are still unknown to the outside world. Such tragedies are pathetic to any conscientious people. Should the father be executed or be released? Is this case the sin of father?
Sep 21, 2007 01:59
  • LEONARDO
Ma Jianjun, a teacher, killed his mentally-disturbed son,claiming it is for the sake of other family members' safety.

Sep 21, 2007 04:44
  • KATRINA
Sad to hear this tragedy. The rights of handicapped should also be respected. The father should be put into prison and executed.
Sep 21, 2007 05:46
  • DODGER
Katrina,
there should have been a place to put the child if there was a problem.
Mental health is realy no different than a physical one execpt that the physival injuiry is more easily treated.
To kill your own child is a crime but he must be in hell already.
Would you fire the gun that kills the Farther?
Dodger.
Sep 21, 2007 11:51
  • CARLOS
In Sweden Islamite father killed his daughter because she was going to marry a swedish. It was called "a honour-murder" His daughter desecrated their family. Should we execute him, too?
Sep 21, 2007 14:18
  • GRIZ326
As tragic as this appears at first glance, perhaps the fathers had good reason for what they did. ???

If you know your child has the potential to molest children, rape women or murder might not it be your responsibility to take such extreme action?

There is a young man in my community that turned bad at 6 years old (because of bad parents). He has been getting worse every year and is in prison now for the violent rape of a 14 year old girl. I am a friend of the local judge who told me he is certain that this young man will eventually murder some one - or worse! I am certain the judge is correct.

Farmers are well acquainted with the subject of "herd health." Perhaps human society should take a closer look at that management model. ???
Sep 22, 2007 00:08
  • ICEBLUE
Griz 326,

"Farmers are well acquainted with the subject of "herd health." Perhaps human society should take a closer look at that management model?"

Can you pls further explain the subject of 'herd health'? Why do you associate it with the human society?
Sep 22, 2007 18:24
  • GRIZ326
Farmers cull their herds and flocks of animals that unduly disrupt the harmony of the rest of the animals. In the US

We are only animals, ICEBLUE, were it not for our thumbs we would be just like them.
Sep 22, 2007 18:28
  • GRIZ326
...I was trying to add when I hit the wrong key....

In the US, the criminal element and gang culture is far out of bounds without appropriate controls imposed. Strong-armed law enforcement on those areas would make the US a safer, better place.
Sep 23, 2007 20:37
  • MAY001
Really sad to hear that tragedies. It's not only a tragedy of the family, but also a tragedy of our society. We do too little to these mentally illed persons.
Sep 23, 2007 22:30
  • AL32
Katrina wrote: "The father should be put into prison and executed"; I respect your view, but I totally disagree with it.
How hard is it on a father to kill his own beloved son? How big is his punishement to live the rest of his life dealing with the crime he did?
Lifetime prison is already hard enough one someone guilty of killing. Should the "community" has the right to kill a killer? Where will it stop?

Some time ago in Canada, a father killed is very sick daughter out of compasion and sympathy; he was sent in prison and the story was on the news
and debated everywhere. After a judge heard the case, experts went to explain the facts and a long delibaration, the court exonerated the man and released him.
So please, let's not judge people's behavior too quickly and let us show a little compassion too.

Afterall, committing suicide is against the law in every country (or probably most countries anyway), so why is that generally accepted when I believe that it is a
very personal decision and that on the other hand, people get judgemental about others and claim that they should be killed for their actions. I don't get this.

The only argument I see is that it would end the father's suffering; but again I don't really agree with this method of resolution.

I also totally agree with Dodger when he says that there should have been a place to send the problem child to.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Two tragedies: sins of fathers?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code