Menu
Starbucks Cafe in Forbidden City, right or wrong ?
Sep 23, 2007 03:21
  • MELODYCHOW
The Starbucks Cafe, which had been opened to tourists in Beijing Forbidden City for over 6 years, has already withdrew from Forbidden City three months ago. This was a proposal first put forward by a distaff anchor of CCTV program in English. He said, the starbucks cafe should be retreated from the Forbidden City, for it invaded the Chinese culture. Traditional and Royal attractions can not give room for western-style cafe due to the cultural shock and difference, What do you think ? Can western-style Starbucks Cafe be opened in Forbidden City ? Right or Wrong ?
Sep 23, 2007 04:08
  • KAIOTEE
I went to the Forbidden City in May last year and i was disgusted to see that Starbucks, it practically ruined my day. I went in there with the culture and history in mind and after walking through a few doorways, I lost my enthusiasm even further when I saw that Starbucks after being told half of the city had been closed off due to construction for the Olympic Games. Fair enough for the construction, it was mandatory... but the Starbucks? I'm glad they shut it down, how hard could it have been to initially build it outside the entrance... but not inside, that's low.
Sep 23, 2007 04:40
  • DODGER
Keep Starbucks out of there. there cant even make good coffee.
This is one of the centres of Chinese culture and should be kept that way for all time.
I do not recall any Starbuck cafe at Westmininister Palace?
Dodger.
Sep 23, 2007 06:33
  • DAVEC
As a westerner I think it is wrong, very very wrong. It is ruining the character of the place. I went to Chengdu this week and visited an old style street, Jin Li I think is the name, when I walked into the street the first thing I see....... the coffee shop.
Sep 23, 2007 08:40
  • JABAROOTOO
The only good thing about these western joints is their use as landmarks and meeting places because they usually have the most prominent locations and they are easy to spot but I agree that they should not be given prime access to most of China's iconic sites.

Sep 23, 2007 15:26
  • GRIZ326
I saw the Starbucks you are talking about in Chengdu, DaveC. It did not make me happy. The cultural erosion is devasting.

Unfortunately, I did not think to take a picture of the Starbucks there....but McD's is everywhere in China now.

Sep 24, 2007 00:37
I agree, it's not the right that Starbucks should be at the forbidden City.
Jan 8, 2008 18:29
  • GARYKINKADE
When in China do as the Chinese. I'm a person of the older generation and am looking for historical culture and not plastic that can be found in any-town u.s.a.
Jan 8, 2008 19:42
  • MARRIE
historical sites shoud be intact. btw, wha't wrong with those unknow codes above, dear guests?
Post a Reply to: Starbucks Cafe in Forbidden City, right or wrong ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code