Menu
Sunday Smash
Sep 23, 2007 08:33
  • JABAROOTOO
I had just hailed MP3 player when the sound of screeching tyres made me look up and ahead.

Another taxi, barely 50 meters in front was braking suddenly, for no obvious reason and burning rubber in the process. My first thought was to ask why he was stopping until I saw a man come bolting from the hedge on the medium strip.

The scene that followed seemed to unfold in slow motion. The man's foot hit the road and then the cab it the man. There was no time to avoid him but the taxi had miraculously already reduced his speed.

We slowed and pulled in front of them and watched briefly as the taxi driver got out of his cab and helped the now stunned and dazed man in his forties or fifties to sit up. His glasses lay slightly damaged on the road in front of the cab.

As we drove off my driver rattled off a lot of stuff I didn't understand but like me I guess he was suggesting that pedestrians should be more careful about where they try to cross the road.

I replied that there were too many people and cars drive too fast and asked him to take it easy....I was a little shaken up since this was the first accident that I have actually witnessed first hand although I have seen several that had happened perhaps only moments before giving a crowd time to gather.

Later I wondered just how many of these seemingly minor accidents go unreported to the police. The taxi's windscreen was not broken but it was a mess with the chatter proof glass looking more like a giant spiders web from the impact of the man's head and shoulders as he rolled up the bonnet.

Again an unpleasant experience so early on Sunday morning but thankfully the man may only have minor injuries and at best some heavy bruising.
Post a Reply to: Sunday Smash
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code