Menu
ATMs
Sep 25, 2007 22:42
  • TWIN
Hi
I wondering if anyone can advise me on how many digits are required to access an ATM while in China - Beijing Shanghai Xian

I have heard that it is four and then again six
Thanks
Sep 26, 2007 01:49
  • DREAMLIFE
As far as I know, your credit card will be eaten up by the ATM if you input your code incorrectly three times. But do not worry. Just contact the bank and they will help you.
Sep 26, 2007 03:54
  • JABAROOTOO
Chinese ATM cards require a six digit pin

But if your International card ONLY has a 4 digit pin then that will of course be accepted. Why wouldn't it!!!!

As Dreamlife comments, you stand a chance of loosing the card if you enter your pin incorrectly THREE times in any given attempt but this could happen anywhere. It will not be because of the length of the pin.

The other way to loose your card is to forget to retrieve it form the machine. You only have a couple of minutes before the machine decides to keep it. Recently happened to me at an ATM I walked away, then realized I did not collect my card and when I got back to the machine, just moments, it was too late. Good for security but frustrating for me at the time to get a new one or open new account.
Sep 26, 2007 08:11
  • JCNILE123
I used my ATM card in an US bank this last September Citibank ATM in China, and it work great,
Before that I try HSB ATM and no luck, and so the Chinese Banks,
I try only ones because of what Jabarotoo said up there, you can lose it.
USA cards are only 4 Digits pin.
Sep 26, 2007 08:13
  • JCNILE123
Last October not September, sorry.
Sep 26, 2007 09:24
  • SUSAN205060
All China ATM Machine has English index, just follow the instruction and till now my friends from overseas didn't meet ATM problem .

Another key point is that all of them normally use Bank of China since it is more smooth and no problem normally for the country bank.

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng(China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060
Sep 26, 2007 10:19
  • BETWEENUS21
yes for foreigners - do look for the Bank of China branches for its ATMs which the atms arelocated outside the banks - or at major shopping centres where stand alone Bank of China atms can be found.
Sep 26, 2007 10:59
  • APAULT
My previous posts in other threads provide the answer about the number of digits. There are, or were machines that demand you enter 6 digits. If you should come across one, enter two leading zeroes. It worked for me.

Unfortunately losing your card in the ATM can be a big problem if you are from overseas. You will have to get a new card issued from your home bank. Some of the security can make this quite a task. If you have only one card with you as I do, you don't want to lose it. I never allow 3 failures, after 2 failures I quit and wait 24 hours.

Post a Reply to: ATMs
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code