Menu
Do you believe that Chinese soldiers travelled 25,000 Li on foot?
Sep 28, 2007 02:26
  • FRANKENSTEIN
The Red Army' s Long March from 1934 to 1936 was a special episode in Chinese history. The shaky alliance between Communisty Party and Nationalist Party was ended on April 12,1927. The Red Army suffered a great loss from 1927 to 1935 and had to retreat from Jiangxi, the revolutionary base of the Red Army. The soldiers of the Red Army mainly consisted of uneducated or illiterate poor workers and peasants. Despite of the harsh natural conditions, the Red Army walked 25,000 Li on foot, and finally arrived at Yan'an through their strong willpower and determination. Last year was the 70th Aniversary of the end of Long March. The whole country memorized the event through various means.

In China, the Long March Spirit became one of "the Hottest Words" in 2006.The dauntless spirit of the Red Army soldiers that is exemplified through the Long March has provided endless inspiration for people around the country.

According to asurvey, over 74 percent of Chinese younsters believe that the Long March spirit is the most valuable legacy of the Long March for Chinese people.

25,000 Li. Did any other countries' soldiers had ever walked so long on foot in two years under harsh natural condition and the threat of starvation?
Sep 28, 2007 02:29
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Red Army Troops on the Long March in the Snowy Mountains

Sep 28, 2007 02:31
  • FRANKENSTEIN
86,000 men and woman began the trip that would last over a year until October 19, 1935 in Yan'an in Sha'anxi Province. Some of the prominent Chinese leaders that began the Long March were Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai, Deng Xiaoping, Zhu De, Peng Dehuai, leading the Third Army Group, Lin Biao, Liu Bocheng, Ye Jianying, Li Xiannian, He Long, and Chen Yi was left behind with the wounded and sick.

Sep 28, 2007 19:48
  • GRIZ326
I know it was one heck of a march, but how far is a Li? ...in miles, meters, kilometers or feet?

Sep 28, 2007 21:09
  • CONNY129
If I don't misremember, 1 Li = 0.3107 mile ^_^

Sep 28, 2007 22:39
  • ELLEN77
That's right, the Long March is really inspiring.
Sep 29, 2007 19:57
GUEST21131 I wonder who provided food to them.
Oct 1, 2007 01:23
I went to " The long March " exhibition when I was in Beijing, I found it very interesting, they must have suffered a great deal of hardship during the journey and deserve a great deal of respect.
Oct 10, 2007 04:08
  • KATRINA
25.000 Li. The Long March is a magnificent episode of Red Army. Many people travelled on foot. It must be a very interesting journey. I wish I could have joined them.
Oct 10, 2007 05:59
  • DODGER
But perhaps the results of the Long March held China back for 60 years?
Dodger.
Oct 10, 2007 11:06
  • JABAROOTOO
It was an incredible feat for those who marched any distance but especially for those who SURVIVED. Countless more men enlisted but perished from starvation, exhaustion, illness and exposure to the elements or lost their lives in battle.

I have just returned from Maerkang last week where Mao Zedong and his generals spent a week in the small village of Zuokeji, strategizing. Much of the village was ravaged later as the army moved north from Sichuan into Gansu. The Red Army spent almost a year in the valley around Maerkang, living off the generosity of the locals.

This was the nature of the Long March and I wonder if the locals were ever recompensed or if they gave as their civic duty. The Suomo Valley is a very picturesque but for the most part it is narrow and hemmed in by steep mountains and would be a difficult area to march through today. Back then even more so and this very inaccessible terrain like most of the route was I'm sure chosen in order to evade the opposition.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you believe that Chinese soldiers travelled 25,000 Li on foot?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code