Menu
Are Asians not suitable for track and field events?
Sep 29, 2007 04:07
  • JIMMYB
For a long time, Asians have been considered to be poor at field and track events , but Liu broke the spell or rumor. Liu scored the champiponship in 2004 Olympic Games. It was the first Champion in short -track running race won by Asians. He created a myth of Asia.

However, home-grown hero Liu Xiang disappointed his compatriots' expectation after losing the 110m hurdles at the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix on Friday.

World and Olympic champion, the world record holder Liu, who was seeking a hat trick of wins at the meeting, started slowly and could not make up the pace, ranking the third, with a time of 13.21 seconds.

Obviously, Liu Xiang lost its usual form in the contest. Did he bear too much pressure, but Liu said that there was actually no pressure on him.

Africans, especially black Africans, are quite good at running in track events. Why? Are Africans the strongest people in the world?

Sep 29, 2007 04:10
  • JIMMYB
Liu Xiang was left behind.

Oct 1, 2007 16:37
  • ERENCIUS
It is just a matter of genes, Africans are usually better at sports that need power, Asians are better at sports that imply streching, European are average everywhere. That's more or less like this since we are all human but our genetical structure is not exactly the same.
Oct 4, 2007 21:42
  • KEVIN0518
It is nornal that Liu Xiang lost his game. Since he became the champion of the 110-meter hurdle at Athens Olympic Games, he has been regarded as the legend. Chinese people has given too much expectations on him. Just imagine, if he lost in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, how do people react to it? Just take it easy! He has burdened to much pressure so that we should understand him.

Oct 5, 2007 12:00
  • ERENCIUS
Yes this is bound to be the reason... Noone is perfect all the time anyway ;)
Oct 6, 2007 05:37
  • DODGER
We are all born with predetermined body types.
Africa has produced athletes that have both fast and slow twitch muscles, so some have stamina and some have explosive speed.. But their social environment is more the key to their success. Their athletic ability is their way out of their situation .
The US collage system has enabled people who would not normally be able to afford an education to use their athletic ability as a way of improving themselves.
So as Chinese people realize that they can earn a living by just playing it will attract more and more.
Dodger.
Oct 7, 2007 18:25
  • PETERJOHN
I thought that all Chinese were short (except for Yoa Ming, of course), but when I was in Yangling, I met the Chinese Olympic Rowing Team, and had my picture taken with them. I am tall (6'1" or 1.85 meters), but they were all much taller than me. I was really surprised.

With over 1.3 billion people, there are probably many more very good athletes in China than there are in America. But not all will get a chance to compete in the big games.
Post a Reply to: Are Asians not suitable for track and field events?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code