Menu
Daily Spending Allowance
Oct 2, 2007 15:34
  • CROSIS
Hi All
What would be a good allowance for a daily spending rate. I am going to do a tour package, but was wondering about incidentals and evening meals etc. Would US$50 a day cover it, am I better to allow US$100-200?

As I say the package covers accommodation, transport, guides, entry fees and alike, so it is only the miscellaneous spending.

thank you
Oct 3, 2007 17:18
  • GRIZ326
If you are a big spender at home you will be a big spender in China. If you have the funds to allow $200 USD/day - do it. You do not have to spend it. ...but I think you will find that money goes quickly unless you bring a lot of it.
Oct 5, 2007 13:30
GUEST01219 Hello,
I live in Beijing. life in beijing is expensive.
How much money you are going to take depends on your financial status.
For example: go the the Great Wall, if you choose bus, transport+ticket=100yuan/RMB($14); If you choose taxi, it is about 400yuan($53) and more.

More information, please contact my on: yahoo.com|jennysun729 or Skype me: sunyongda729
Oct 5, 2007 20:54
  • PRIMARY
That's right.
Oct 5, 2007 23:18
  • JABAROOTOO
Gosh,
Even US$50 in China is a lot of money per day. If almost everything is covered in your tour, the only major items to spend your money on would be souvenirs silk art, silver and jade jewellery and paintings and wood carvings and the like.

But be warned, if you want to splash your money around you'll most likely be ripped off.

Now I'm not the kind of person to take package tours so I'm perhaps not the best person to take advice from but, I have just returned from a weeks travel, including a few days in a village guest house and two nights in Chengdu where we ate western meals at every opportunity because we just catch get such great choices where we live and the whole trip cost less than US$200.

I bought a couple of souvenir's and a lovely yak wool sweater for less than US$20. Our Western meals plus drinks etc ran out at less than US$15 each which is expensive in comparison to a Chinese meal which we could get for much less than half this cost. In fact our meals in the village cost less that US$3.00 for two of us and we ate well.

Enjoy your tour

Oct 6, 2007 12:37
  • APAULT
I travelled for 4 months on US $150 a week. That covered everything. So it all depends on your lifestyle and mine is clearly simple. If you are here for a short period you will want to have good meals, use taxis and perhaps try some night spots - the last is the big killer to the budget, especially in foreigner bars. Excluding the bars, $50 a day should be plenty as the tours are presumably prepaid.
Oct 6, 2007 23:43
  • GRIZ326
JABAROOTOO and APAULT are experienced travelers in China and "know the ropes." You can certainly go on the cheap and have a grand time but their experience gives them an advantage.
Oct 7, 2007 15:00
  • DAVEC
Not sure how much you are likely to spend especially as you have some of the tour included in your package. But to give you an idea I spent 7000Y in my 3 weeks in China, that included all accomodation,meals,taxis,2 overnight trains and 1 flight from Chengdu to HK. Plus the usual gifts of sweets and tea to take home.
Oct 12, 2007 12:40
  • ELLYSE
If you're going on an all-inclusive package then you only need money for your own shopping. Which I have NO IDEA how much it would be since I don't know your spending habits.
Post a Reply to: Daily Spending Allowance
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code