Menu
I want to bring my chinese man to the US
Oct 3, 2007 00:44
guestStephanie Hi everyone.

My name is Stephanie from California. I want to bring James, my chinese boyfriend to the US. I have known him since December 2005 and visited him twice this year. Like everyone else in the same situation, we are deeply in love.

We want to spend the rest of our lives in the US together. Therefore, I will have to do my part to make things possible, at the time being, to avoid any mistakes, I want to ask the more experience people who had gone through the process successfully, what steps to take to make our dreams come true. I heard a lot of couples had hired lawyers and had been successful. If anyone can recommend me any lawyer and give me the quotes. Tell me your stories of how you did it.

Thanks everyone for taking your time reading my post. Hopefully someone will get back to me soon. =)

- Stephanie
Boyfriend from China
Oct 3, 2007 03:37
  • LIZXLI
Why don't you get married?If so you two could go to the US together.

My friend got married in China and then she could go to the UK with her boyfriend (currently her husband).It is not difficult though.
Oct 3, 2007 04:44
  • CHINAMATT
Getting an immigrant visa is difficult and takes about a year. It is definitely easier if you are already married, but I've heard it's still difficult. He has to apply at the nearest US consulate and fill out a few dozen forms and pay some fees and go to interviews.

He could also apply for jobs in the US to get a sponsor for a visa. It might make the process quicker, but there's no guarantee. Just be sure to go through the process carefully to avoid any mistakes.

Good luck.
Oct 3, 2007 09:22
  • GRIZ326
The immigration process to the US is long, costly and complicated. From application to approval of a fiance visa takes from 8 to 12 months and that is just a 90 day visa. Then you must apply for permanent status and the US green card which takes another year or so.

For more authoritative information about this matter, try these websites:

http://www.robsnanningsite.com/
http://candleforlove.com/
Oct 4, 2007 04:58
  • ROGERINCA
Hey, Steph congratulations !!! What city are you from here in the great CA !!?? What city is your fiancée from in the PRC ??

First, you really do not need a lawyer. Most individuals I know, who are going through the process, do not waste the money on an attorney. If you are reasonably educated and can read, write and comprehend government forms, you can do it yourself and save a wad of dough.

There is a Chinese para-legal in Nanning, who can assist you with as much as an attorney can, for 25% of the cost. This aspect is important in that he can assist the Chinese partner with filling out his/her forms and the portions which must be in Chinese language.

PM me if you want his contact info and usual pricing.

I have been going through this process for some time now. My Lao Po lives in Guangzhou, and I live outside of Sacramento, but grew up in the L.A. area.

Another web-site which has great tools and a wealth of info is Visa Journey.com

Marrying in China, does [not] speed up the process !! Actually, the spousal (K-3) visas take a little longer than the fiancée (K-1) visas.

I married my Lao Po in China because it was important to her and her family. Most go the K-1 route and marry early-on within the 90 period of arrival at the US Port of Entry. The fees (from start to finish) were significantly raised effective July 31st.

The USCIS and USDOS are concerned about marriage fraud and if the relationship is one that is bonifide. The incidence of fraud is very high with marriages from certain countries; this is why the process is very intensive and now more expensive.

It is good that you have visited him two times. Once is the minimum requirement of the US government agencies, however, multiple visits lend more credence to the relationship. Make sure you retain all of your phone records and e-mails for submission with your package. Also do not lose your plane tickets and other travel receipts.

Go to both the VJ or the CFL on-line sites (free ones) and you can quickly come up to speed on the process.

Best wishes !!!
Oct 4, 2007 11:04
  • APAULT
As I asked in another thread. What if the fiancee enters the USA as a genuine student. Then you apply for him to stay as a fiancee or as a spouse. ?
Oct 5, 2007 12:10
  • ROGERINCA
F1 visa means there are no conditions connected to the visa. So, you can marry in the US and adjust status afterwards (Form I-130 + I-485). As long as the visa is valid, the future spouse can leave and enter the country. Once you've filed for adjustment of his/her status your then-spouse will need Advance Parole to leave/return until she receives her green card.

There is, however, a good chance that USCIS will assume she had [immigration intent] (FRAUD) when applying for the student visa, so be prepared to answer questions regarding that in the interview and to produce evidence supporting her status as a student in addition to materials in support of your relationship.

Oct 7, 2007 01:38
GUESTSTEPHANIE ROGERNICA,

We'''ll take your advice on this. :)

Thanks everyone who all tried to be informative.

Steph & James
Oct 22, 2007 19:29
  • CANADAGUY
>>Marrying in China, does [not] speed up the process !! Actually, the spousal (K-3) visas take a little longer than the fiancée (K-1) visas.<<

Canadians don't have this luxury any longer.
We lost the fiancee visa category a few years ago.

Now, the Canadian government pretty much forces couples to marry in China before they can live together in Canada.

Post a Reply to: I want to bring my chinese man to the US
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code