Menu
A very lucky man indeed
Oct 10, 2007 09:24
SYDNEY (AFP) - Australian doctors revealed Wednesday that they drip-fed an Italian tourist a steady dose of vodka over three days to save his life after he poisoned himself.

The 24-year-old man was taken to a north Queensland hospital two months ago after he swallowed a large amount of a potentially-fatal substance found in antifreeze in an apparent suicide attempt.

Doctors at Mackay Base Hospital decided the best method of saving the unconscious man's life was to reverse the effect of the poison, ethylene glycol, by giving him pharmaceutical-grade alcohol.

Dr Pascal Gelperowicz said that once the hospital's alcohol supplies ran out doctors sent out for a case of vodka and the unusual drip was set up.

"We quickly used all the available vials of 100 percent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man's system was by feeding him spirits through a nasal-gastric tube," Gelperowicz said.

His colleague Dr Todd Fraser said the patient was given about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit.

"Fortunately for him, he was in a medically induced coma for a good portion of that," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"By the time he woke up, I think his hangover would have well and truly gone."

Although unusual, the treatment was approved by hospital officials.

"The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka," Fraser said.

The patient regained full health and was discharged from hospital after 20 days.

I think he is a lucky man, ( a ) For having his life saved.

and ( b ) For being drip fed Vodka!!

A dream for many men to be drip fed Alcohol. he he
Cheers.
Alan

Oct 10, 2007 09:32
  • JCNILE123
Very amusing
Oct 10, 2007 15:29
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
A doctor who lets you be sauced all day to save your life? This guy should get a friggin medal in this field of medicine.

Danny
Oct 10, 2007 22:32
  • DODGER
please form an orderly queue behind me.
Dodger
Oct 11, 2007 01:09
What worried me was they only got one crate of Vodka. he he
Also Dodger, I beat you to it, it's now drip dry!! hic
Oct 11, 2007 06:59
  • DODGER
Greedy bloke. But what could you expect from somewhere that the only choices is scrumpy.
If they can guarantee no hang over it still sounds like a great way to go. Without having to talk to the big white telephone.
Dodger.
Oct 11, 2007 07:39
I've had more a few chats on the big white telephone in my time, and with scrumpy you spent a lot of time on it too.
Alan
Oct 12, 2007 06:05
  • DODGER
Alan,
funny as you would be the only one who would know what the Big white teliphone is.
But, come on England.
Dodger
PS looking forwared to talking to it soon..Ha
Oct 12, 2007 07:24
I expect Travellermike & Davec know too Dodger as they are also Brits.
If you talk to it tomorrow mind those red backs you might get a nasty surprise!! no such problem here. he he
Win or lose, were on the booze.
COME ON ENGLAND sort the buggers out.
Alan
Post a Reply to: A very lucky man indeed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code