Menu
Chongqing to Dazu
Oct 11, 2007 08:42
  • WMINNIE78
Hi, We (4 adults) will be flying to Chongqing around late March 2008 and is thinking of visiting Dazu Grottoes. What is the best way to travel to Dazu ? Is it easy to get a taxi to take us there and back? will it be very expensive?
Oct 11, 2007 21:08
  • DREAMLIFE
Well, you can take taxi to Dazu Grottoes. But I think it is expensive. Actually, there are many regular buses from Chongqing to Dazu. The ticket is about 35 CNY per person. You can take the bus at Chongqing Chaotianmen Bus Station.
Oct 12, 2007 01:35
  • JABAROOTOO
Dazu is about 2hrs from Chongqing. If this is your only opportunity to see something similar then make the trip. There are tour coaches from Chao Tian men but you have to catch another small bus up the mountain from the town.

I have been to Dazu three times, two times I could have skipped to be honest. Keep in mind that March is still cool and the Grottos are in the head of a Valley. That is up at the top of the mountain which are pretty tall there so chances are that visibility will be poor. There's plenty of good alternatives in Chongqing if you're interested in more information send me a message.
Oct 17, 2007 05:34
GUESTWMINNIE78 hi Jabarootoo,
We have 3 days in Chongqing. We want to visit the panda room in Chongqing zoo, Ciqikou Old town and Erling Park. It would be good if you can recommend / advise us of what to see and do in Chongqing.
Oct 22, 2007 08:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Winnie,

You're coming through in March is that right? Of course I don't know what you are all interested in here in China but can I
suggest that you spend some time reading all my reviews on Chongqing and surrounds, especially

Colours of Ciqikou
Changing Fortunes of Zhongshan Gu Zhen

Chongqing Celebrates
Wansheng

And then also have a look at Travel Tips for Chongqing. I've actually written up a bit of a walking tour of the oldest part of the city which is worth doing.

If this is the only chance you'll get to see the panda, then it will be worth the visit but it's not too exciting if they don't come out into the enclosure.

As for other things, definitely visit Siqikou, there is more there than initially meets the eye, follow the streets in the opposite direction to the crowds and you'll find where people really live and cross over the creek as well, there is a small museum but it may not be open.

Hong ya dong in Jiefengbei is the purpose built replica area and is interesting with a theatre (show should be on) especially at night.

and I'd also recommend Huguang Huiguan (all in the tips and walking tour)

One of my favourite places is the 18 Stair Teahouse (all in the tips and walking tour)

Skip Erling park unless you have a beautiful clear day , instead opt for Nanshan's Golden Eagle or One Tree Hill lookout for that view of the rivers.

Zhongshan ancient town is a good day trip if the weather and visibility are poor.

Wansheng district is great but it's at altitude so if the weather is close it may hinder visibility a lot or a little. There are day trips here too.

And don't miss seeing the People's Great Hall which has just had a face lift so will look stunning and the New Three Gorges Museum is a good hideout if it's raining and worth a few hours if you have them.

As I said earlier, all the details are on the web here, just have a browse and if you have any more questions send me a message
Cheers
J

Mar 27, 2012 08:51
GUESTCHA HU Hi I wonder what alternatives you suggest?
xie xie!
Jun 18, 2013 01:48
GUEST15347 Now the regular bus ticket has rise up to 55RMB per person.
Hiring a private car and driver will cost about 700RMB per day
my friend's in Chongqing is doing this car rent business,call me:15178755421
I can arrange one for you.
Jul 3, 2016 00:38
GUEST85143 Possible you give me yr email address to arrange for taxi to dazu to jetty for the cruise. Tq.
Chin
Post a Reply to: Chongqing to Dazu
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code