Menu
1 Week in China. 3 Young guys. Which city to visit?
Oct 16, 2007 00:32
  • DAVEC
How about head west? I like Yunnan province places like Kunming,Dali,Lijiang are nice. I managed to do 25gb of images in a 3 week break around there.
Oct 16, 2007 04:10
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
That is a lot of pictures Davec, how did you happen to keep that much? I was thinking of bringing my laptop with me on my next trip to manage that kind of volume...
Oct 20, 2007 02:20
  • CHONGQINGBOY
Chongqing is strongly recommended ,the biggest municipal city in China . For more information ,you can search it in Google .Chongqing is famous for beautiful landscape,pretty girls ,delicous food ,for instance , spicy food .

I am a senior college student of chongqing university ,already been in chongqing for 22 years ,so i am very familiar with every site of chongqing . I 'd like to make friends ,I can guide you around chongqing ,help you find the lowest hotel and get the local delicious foods ,anyway help all what you concern and need . During November 11-18 ,I am available ,if you really wanna visit Chongqing ,please do not hesitate contact me .
E-mail :wwwcetwang @yahoo.cn
Oct 30, 2007 02:47
  • BILLYBAXTER
Juizhaighou is wonderful ....I think you have enough time .....it takes a long day on a bus ....Chengdu to J...but a very interesting ride. You can fly C to J but will have to pay 100rmb at least to get to J from the airport. There are 2 or 3 buses in the morning. The bus station is about 500m from the park entrance. The cost of park entrance is 320 which gives you 2 days in the park. You also need to pay 90rmb for unlimited bus usage within the park each day. You can find lots of hotels near the park entrance for 200---500rmb. If the sun shines you will get some amazing shots. I have a 20D but used a small P@C fuji. It was hazy, misty most of the time but late pm the clouds sometimes rise to give you shots of the higher peaks. On the bus journey you actually climb over a pass at about 3500m..and this can take you above the clouds to reveal a mainly Tibetan, grassland area. When you go you may see snow. I was there 4 weeks ago ...no snow and fairly warm. The most amazing thing for me ....was seeing the crystal clear river flowing out of the park to join the river flowing thru the resort area which was full of garbage. Kind of sad that you have to pay money to see a unpolluted river in China.

As for Chengdu ....sure the central area is clean, uncrowded and there is wonderful food if you like it hot. We went to the bus station for a bus to Dazu and it was like anywhere else in China. Go to Chengdu bus station to experience real China! Even more authentic, Chengdu bus station toilet.
Oct 30, 2007 10:14
  • JJASC
Great info Billy, that's just what I needed to know. I'd love to bus it, but I'm only in chengdu for 4 days so I'll have to fly to J. I really hope the weather will be up to par when I'm there. I was really hoping to catch the wonderful fall colors in J, but I assume Nov 15th is too late for that? I guess I'll have a more "winter" experience? What type of tempeture do you thing I'll be experiencing in J and chengdu? I was initially not going to bring any warm clothes, but on second thought, it might be snowing in J...

I'm definetly looking forward to the spicy chengdu food. The squat toliets, not so much :)
Oct 30, 2007 21:07
  • FAERIEQUEENE
please let us know about the fall or winter colours while you are back from Juizhaigou... like the Japanese and korean tourist offices always have latest news about the autumn colours, spring blossoms calendar.. that are extremely useful... as it changes every week. Enjoy!
Oct 30, 2007 23:03
  • BILLYBAXTER
I can't help you with temperatures. You will have to check the chinese met office. J town is around 2500m and the end of the road in the park around 3200m. Mid november should be snow-free ....it appears to be a fairly dry area ...but I may be wrong. There should be a J website ...have you checked JJ?
Correction....Park entrance is 220 rmb and 90rmb per day for buses. On the first day when you return to the park gates go to the exit queue on the left ....they take a photo and endorse your ticket for the next day. If you take all the effort to get to J you may as well have a second day ....because you need that to walk the main routes.
On the 2nd day you MUST buy another 90rmb bus ticket before you get to the park entrance.

Most of the chinese tourists will concentrate on the main waterfall/coloured lake sites .....the majority will be on day trips with a tight schedule. There is a large resturant area within the park (at the 14km point where the valley splits) here you can get a 40rbm or 80rmb buffet lunch which is well worth it. So you only need water and a few snacks plus warm clothing and sturdy footware.
On our first day we went to the head of the western valley where the primeval forest is. Then walk back to the resturant area .....this will take you most of the day....you may have time to take the bus up to the top of the eastern valley and perhaps walk a little way down. The rest of the trails in this valley are CLOSED.
On you second day you can get a bus to the resturant area then walk back to the park entrance....although once you get to the 2nd tibetian village (after say 8km) the remaining 6km is not that special. Otherwise you may just take buses to bits you may have missed on the first day.

Colours may have gone...they were just turning when we were there about 4 weeks ago.

Good luck.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 1 Week in China. 3 Young guys. Which city to visit?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code