Menu
Does China face a cultural deficit?
Oct 17, 2007 03:10
  • LEONARDO
In traditional Chinese culture, red is cherished color. Chinese people adore red. On big occassion, they like to decorate their homes in red. Red is a color of double happiness, signifying auspiciousness, enthusiam and prosperity. At the wedding ceremony, the bride is supposed to be in red.

White is a color of gloom and sadness. At the funeral, people are supposed to wear white flowers and white clothes.

The recent half century has saw a shift in the connotation of white color. At the wedding ceremony, wearing a white gown is quite popular both in rual and urban China. Facintg the change, some senior citizens argued that Chinese culture has been westernized. China imports too much western cultural elements but exports too little. In other words, China has a cultural deficit. Has Chinese culture been westernized? Is there a cultural deficit for China? What are your opinions?
Oct 17, 2007 04:56
I don't know about China becoming Westernized, I feel like I'm becoming Easternized!! I'm not complaining though.
Alan.
Oct 17, 2007 05:48
  • DODGER
Leonardo,
The term “westernized” is too broad a brush stroke to paint in regards to culture.
What many in the West are complaining about is the incursion of and dominance of American culture into Europe, in movies, music, fast food and in language.
Chine is not alone in this.
It is called Globalization.
It is a price that we all pay in some way.
But having said that, China’s culture is perhaps stronger than you think and it’s contribution to World history is so imbedded it will not disappear unless it’s people give it no value.
Dodger.
Oct 17, 2007 06:00
  • JOANNEL
Unfortunately, even in the short 5 years that i have been visting China, i have seen many examples of westernization, and unless there is a concerted effort to keep Chinese culture alive, many of the wonderful tradtions will die out, as they are dong. I am aware of small pockets of artists and conerned citizens across the country tryng to record and preserve traditional culture. But as previous writer, Leonardo, says, globilisation is spreading. For real travellers, fnding unaffected cultures and places to visit is getting harder and more difficult. We have a window of about 25 years to really explore different cultures around the world, and then either fuel prces or globlisation will change the nature of adventure travel for ever- so get out there and explore lke ther is no tomorrow!!
Oct 17, 2007 09:35
  • GRIZ326
I remember a shipmate's comment on Chinese life in Shanghai in 1978 on returning to my ship, he said, "Poor bastards!" This triggered a conversation between us. He saw China as poor because it lacked modern conveniences. I saw China as rich because of many of the interactions I saw among people.

One fond memory came when I walked down a small alleyway that opened into a small courtyard. There I saw an old man squatting with a group of children, probably his grandchildren, cutting up what I believe were small eels. They were having a grand time watching the old man prepare the food; the children point and the wriggling eels.

Another fond memory was in the #1 department store where I was buying a gift for my 4 year old daughter. I found a little children's coat, but didn't know what size to buy ... or even what color to get. I showed the clerk a picture of my little girl. She passed the picture around to all of the women close by in the department store (must have been 100 people) who gathered around as the clerk held up little coats. They had a dandy time and picking out a little yellow coat that fit my 4 year old daughter perfectly and looked beautiful.

To me, those experiences displayed a richness of culture I have not experienced before or since any where in the world - including modern China.

The loss of that cultural richness is a high price to pay for the elimination of squat toilets.
Oct 18, 2007 04:46
  • LEONARDO

"The loss of that cultural richness is a high price to pay for the elimination of squat toilets. "

Griz326,

Your words make me laugh. I like the way you illustrate your point. You put an in-depth question in a very simple way.(or on a day-to-day base)

Dodger, I agree with you.
" Westernized" is a too broad. However, which word should I choose? " Americanized"? European cultures are also being Americanized?
Oct 18, 2007 06:28
  • DODGER
Griz post reminded me of when I first sailed into Singapore and Hong Kong in 67. Of the crowds and the strange smells and of the runs ashore that we used to have. I wasn’t able to visit China until 89 but have seen it change so much since then. Mostly for the better.
Leonardo the whole World has been invaded by American culture. Some of it good and some of it gross.
But the US has given much to the World. It has exported the ideas of freedom of thought among many things. Not always in a perfect way but it was better than the alternative.
As I have said before, if we have parts of our individual cultures that we value we are all responsible for their continuance. If we give them no value or take them for granted they will disappear.
Dodger
Oct 19, 2007 04:19
  • YVONNE
Yes, despite of its big surplus in international trade, China do have a hugh cultural deficit. In film industry and publishing field, China import a large number of books and films;wheras the number of export books and films is quite limited.

The " cultural invasion" is commonly seen around else parts if of the world. The cultural deficit is the inevitable price that China paid in order to go international.
Oct 19, 2007 14:48
  • GRIZ326
Thank you LEONARDO. I have always believed/hoped that China's culture would be able parse the good and bad things of western culture for positive cultural evolution. I no longer know if that is true.
Oct 22, 2007 21:40
  • SUNNYDREAM
Absolutely yes, China faces a cultural deficit. China faces a cultural invasion not only by US but also its close neighbour South Korea. In recent years, South Korea's pop culture was quite popular with Chinese youngsters. China imported numerous South Korea's TV series every year.
Post a Reply to: Does China face a cultural deficit?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code