Menu
A Word of Caution - Sublets
Oct 18, 2007 03:12
  • TOMSPENCER
This is just a word of caution to all those who are coming to Guangzhou for short stays. Please be aware that sublets are not legal here. This means you will have little or no protection under law with regard to your rental. Also, if you're looking to claim the stay back as a business expense, you'll find it impossible to get an official receipt. Registered, professional agents won't touch sublets so you'd be dealing with private brokers who operate outside of the law.

Having said that, I must admit that the vast majority of visitors to Guangzhou who opt for sublets experience no problems what-so-ever. They find that sublets are convenient, usually more comfortable than budget hotels and considerably cheaper than star-rated hotels. So I don't want to blow the risks out of proportion or worry people unnecessarily. My real problem with sublets is that you pay over the odds to line someone's rather underserving pocket.

I realize that if you're coming to town for just a week or two, can't afford a star-rated hotel and don't want to live in one of the rather bleak budget hotels, then a sublet may seem like an ideal choice. Just don't say you weren't warned...
Post a Reply to: A Word of Caution - Sublets
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code