Menu
Is this common?
Oct 19, 2007 20:34
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
During my stay in China, there were many occasions where I had to visit the local general store for little things like toothpaste or some alcohol but what I found interesting is how, in the smaller stores there are like 3 people following you everywhere, some even stand next to you. And in the larger cities, they just ask for your daypacks or any large carrying bags at the front door and still have human surveillance. Did any of you get the same treatment? I did like how they handles themselves though, "Liangjai"(handsome kid) or "Liangnui"(Pretty Girl)

Danny
Oct 19, 2007 21:24
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes, all the time and I don't think it has much to do with security. The poor things have nothing else to do and they really have never been taught any sales skills.

When I get shadowed like that, especially in a clothing store where I am looking for something specific, I generally turn myself around looking directly on the staff and walk right into their space until I see them feeling uncomfortable. This usually works to get them to back off but I doubt that they actually get the point. I sometimes then ask if they feel comfortable.

The other option is to keep stepping backwards until you stand on them enough times for them to realize that they may be in your way. If you can speak Chinese then tell them they they are crowding you. Even after stating that I will look on my own I still have staff offering me things that I would not consider in a pink fit and of course the others who want to show their skills by telling you what a toaster or a vacuum cleaner is (two still rather modern appliances in some places in China toady) , like you'd never seen or used one before. Just having a curious look at anything in China is a sign that you really want to buy something it would seem.

But when I do find something that I may in fact wish to buy, there is either no one to serve me or there is nothing in my size of colour.
Oct 19, 2007 22:43
  • BABYHARE
Haha, from the word "Liangjai" and "Liangnui", I guess you stay in Guangdong Province:)
Oct 19, 2007 23:01
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Haha, why would you think that , Babyhare?
Oct 20, 2007 03:47
  • ELLYSE
Commonly used terms in Guangdong province and not much elsewhere in China.
Oct 21, 2007 19:31
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
So what would they call you in other parts of China?
Post a Reply to: Is this common?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code