Menu
Spring Festival Events/special foods/customs
Oct 21, 2007 18:50
  • GRIZ326
I return to Nanning in February for the beginning of the spring festival. I am going to visit my gal and family.

Certainly the celebrations vary around China if only because of the weather conditions in different places, however, what should I expect?

What sort of events/activities are common?
What sort of special foods are there for the festival?
Are there special customs for the celebration?

TIA to all.
Oct 21, 2007 19:07
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
That is going to be an interesting time to return to China. I remember reading in the news that during the Spring Festival China has the largest mass movement of people on the planet.

As for food, my family is still pretty religious the Chinese way where we make offerings to ancestors for about a week in the morning and night so you could expect to eat a lot of leftover offerings if your gals family is religious like that.

Danny
Oct 22, 2007 08:24
  • FAERIEQUEENE
From Lunar New Year Day 1 through 7 and then Day 15, each with legends, customs, symbolism, food...dos and donts...and they vary from region to region. That's too board a topic!
Oct 28, 2007 21:14
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I'll bump this topic back to the top since only 2 of us posted.
Oct 29, 2007 00:20
  • LEMONCACTUS
Temple Fairs are traditional at this time of year and happen all over China (I think). Definitely there should be some in Nanning, although Faeriequeene is right, there are hundreds of different legends, stories and events in every place in China.

Temple Fairs usually take place in the local temples (Buddhist, Daoist) and involve local food, sometimes local dancing/performances and there are usually lots of things for sale. It's a good place to go to get the feel of how the locals celebate and enjoy themselves.

Have fun :)
Post a Reply to: Spring Festival Events/special foods/customs
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code