Menu
How to deal mother-and daughter in law relationship?
Oct 22, 2007 22:59
  • ICEBERG
Marriage is not the matter just between you and your husband (or wife). It connects two unfamiliar clans together. After getting married, you will have a deep understanding of it. In China, the relationship between mother and daughter in law is the hardest thing to deal with. Due to their different education level, living styles and concepts, the war between them frequently happens. Usually, the man is the victim of the war between his mother and his wife. Just think about it: Is it easy to let two women who do not have blood relationship live together peacefully through their lives?

What is your understanding of mother- and daughter in law relationship? Do you have problems in dealing with it? Any effective ways to build a peaceful and friendly mother-and daughter in law relationship?
Oct 22, 2007 23:21
  • ELLEN77
If they do not live under the same roof, thing would be better.
Oct 23, 2007 00:19
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I agree with Ellen, you'd better get your own place to live with your wife to keep it civil between them two foes.

Living under one roof just gives the mother in law more ammo to talk about.

Danny
Oct 23, 2007 05:04
  • JIMMYB
To not live under the same roof may be helpful but can not solve this problem thoroughly. What about your mum and dad? Let them live lonely untill they die? Impossible! You have the obligation to support them.
Oct 23, 2007 14:41
  • GRIZ326
It will be interesting to see how my gal and my mother get along. My mother's hot-temper has mellowed as she has gotten older and blindness makes her more dependent on others; perhaps that will make the relationship easier.
Oct 23, 2007 19:56
  • LEOPOLD219
I hear that the relationship with foreign mother in law is easier to deal with than a Chinese mother in law. The language barrier, cultural differences and other factors make the communication harder. Thus, they have nothing to say with each other. Is it true?
Oct 24, 2007 00:04
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Jimmyb,

As I said, living in separate homes will keep them civil. The only for sure thing to do if you want mother and daughter in law to get a long is to marry a exact clone that just looks different.

As for my mom and dad, they will never need me to support them. They actually want to switch houses with me when I get married because a big home makes them feel lonely. As for my obligations, I know they are there, but I still got hella time.

And Leopold, It is somewhat true about the language barrier. I have a cousin who married an Italian man from Venice. He doesn't speak a lick of Cantonese and her parents don't speak any English so they just don't try. Doesn't mean they like him though.

Danny
Oct 24, 2007 08:50
When I was married we took my mother in law on holiday with us, mind you she did complain at being strapped to the roof rack, he he
I'm only joking, it's an old Les Dawson joke.
I never had the pleasure of meeting my now late mother in law so I can't really comment further.
Oct 24, 2007 21:18
  • JIMMYB
Alan, good luck to you!

Danny, you are really a lucky guy. I wonder if you are the only child in your family. If so, you surely have to support your parents when they are older. To deal with mother- and daughter in law relationship, you are the key. You are 'lube' between them.
Oct 25, 2007 22:08
  • LIONPOWER
My parent is my heart. So need take care all time , specially when they are old. My wife did not take care in that way which I like. So it's problem in my life. Failed to understand my wife that she is also a mother and will older like my parent.
My personal saying, " Can leave every thing in the world except parent".
Oct 26, 2007 04:33
  • JIMMYB
Well, here is a question for you all. If your wife and your mom fall into the river at the same time, who will you save firstly? Looking forward to your answers.
Page 1 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to deal mother-and daughter in law relationship?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code