Menu
Average wage in Guangzhou
Oct 23, 2007 15:52
  • CANADAGUY
What would be considered an average wage for a female worker (if there is a difference between the sexes) in Guangzhou?

TIA
Oct 23, 2007 23:52
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I have a cousin who worked at a hotel I stayed at. 7 days a week, 8Am-9Pm 600RMB a month. It includes breakfast, lunch and dinner, and an afternoon nap as well. I am not sure if that is high or low, but the hotel is in the rural area west of Guangzhou and she is a female.

Danny
Oct 24, 2007 01:07
This sounds very poorly paid to me, that's less than I earn in a day here in London and I'm not exactly well paid, I know the cost of living is a lot less in China.
Alan
Oct 24, 2007 01:25
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Yeah its quite low. Here in America it takes less than half a day. But then again, take a look at the area:

Oct 24, 2007 12:09
  • CANADAGUY
OK let me ask this another way then.

Would a wage of 3500 RMB /month be considered average, below, above?

Thanks!
Oct 24, 2007 15:28
  • GRIZ326
Many outfits try to hire native English speakers to teach English for 4000 RMB/month.
Oct 24, 2007 17:13
  • CANADAGUY
>>Many outfits try to hire native English speakers to teach English for 4000 RMB/month.<<

OK thanks Griz, that's helpful.

Oct 24, 2007 19:32
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Isn't 4000RMB a month on the higher end of the pay scale?
Oct 25, 2007 10:45
  • APAULT
You didnt say whether you were talking about a local or an expat, a professional or 'worker'.

The restaurant wage quoted is valid...that's wht there are always so many staff in restaurants and shops. I have a friend in Zhuhai who has done 1 year since graduating who earns 2000 or sdo depending on bonus for a 6 day weeks in commercial property rental. 3500rmb is well above factory wages and is higher than teachers pay. So for locals yes it is a good pay.

Teachers in Guangzhou should be on more tha 4000 Griz, I turned down a job at 5000.

Oct 25, 2007 21:29
  • CANADAGUY
>>You didnt say whether you were talking about a local or an expat, a professional or 'worker'.<<

Sorry, this is for a local 'worker'.
But all this should be factored into the equation when we say 'average wage', meaning the average of all workers in Guangzhou.

When we do so and learn that a local 'worker' is making 'X' RMB/mo., we can compare it to the general average for the city and see how they fit in.

>>I have a friend in Zhuhai who has done 1 year since graduating who earns 2000 or sdo ...3500rmb is well above factory wages and is higher than teachers pay. So for locals yes it is a good pay. <<

It wasn't clear if that 3500 RMB was for Zhuhai or Guangzhou?

>>Teachers in Guangzhou should be on more tha 4000 Griz, I turned down a job at 5000. <<

Interesting. Well I chanced upon the answer to my question when doing another search.
Wikipedia has a list of cities in the People's Republic of China by GDP per capita.

According to this site, Guangzhou is near the top of the GDP list with a monthly average wage of 7,083 RMB.

So if this is accurate, then 3500 RMB/mo. is far below average for this city.

It sort of makes sense from what I've learned so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China_by_GDP_per_capita
Sep 10, 2010 05:20
GUESTJAMES
If you wish to know wage levels you can check minimum wage awards for each province on the internet. In Guangzhou the minimum wage rate, is 1,000 RMB this is at the top of the scale in Shenzen. Average wage of over 7000 RMB is misleading, half the rich in China live in Guangdong. I employ 6 local people and 2000RMB a month is a high wage.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Average wage in Guangzhou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code