Menu
Air Pollution - Beijing during December & January
Oct 24, 2007 22:18
  • ELIK
Hello all,

I am writing to get some opinions about the air quality in Beijing during December and January, since I am planning the trip there to meet my wife, who is coming up from Guilin for our two weeks stay. Since we are waiting on the immigiration to finish the process for her, so in the meantime, I am seeing her for 2 weeks in Beijing as our little vacation time.

One thing I am little concerned is the air quality. I know Beijing been working on this, but I am curious what it be like during the winter over there. Since I am given the option of going to Beijing or go to Huangshan, but since I have to work for several days in between, I like my wife to enjoy herself, and Beijing is good for this.

Plus, I read that temperatures is not bad for winter over there. So...is it better there in Beijing during the winter or just go to Huangshan instead? I know it get busy during spring to fall due to tourists, and winter is considered off-season, which the market rates are lower for hotels and activities.

Your advice is appreciated.
Oct 24, 2007 22:44
GUEST21131 The air quality is much better than it was before. As far as i know, No sandstorm occured last year.
Oct 25, 2007 10:33
  • APAULT
There is not much wind in winter so pollution does not clear very well. There was a report on TV this evening (re Olympics) and the pics did not look good.

If you from labrador or greenland you might consider the weather there in winter as 'not too bad'. Expect freezing 24 hours and -10C or worse at night.
Oct 26, 2007 00:42
  • JABAROOTOO
I've never spent time in Beijing in winter but I have landed and stayed overnight twice during December and one of the things that I notice was just how clear the air was. I'm sure it is better than the spring/summer seasons and you'll both be able to enjoy it.
Oct 26, 2007 08:18
GUEST08157 I've been to beijing twice. Jan this year and nov two years ago. The first time the air pollution was truly bad. Being outdoors after dark and breathing was basically impossible. But this year it's improved a lot. It's still polluted but you can actually breathe the air. If you've respiratory problems though, I'd still advise not going out after dark.
Nov 27, 2007 02:06
  • LENNON0117
Hi ELIK :
be a peking man, i could tell you that ,the weather condition is much better than before, i do not agree the poster said above ,because ,there used to be much more wind in winter than the other season ,so the air will be clear easily ,winter is the off -season ,although the weather is cold but few people in the interestings ,that is the good side .
if you want to more info you could contact with me by hotmail.com|lennon_0117
my personal info : http://lennon0117.blog.sohu.com/
Post a Reply to: Air Pollution - Beijing during December & January
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code