Menu
Expat employment
Oct 30, 2007 10:22
guestDonna Hitchen Hi, I am possibly moving to Nanjing next March with my company.
My partner is coming with me but as he does not want to teach English we are struggling to find employment for him.

Does anyone know where I could start looking - I have tried the internet but it seems that only professional positions are available.
He is a highly skilled builder, plaster but is looking for more of a part time thing.

Please can someone help?
Oct 31, 2007 22:53
  • APAULT
There is very little possibility of finding this type of work. The locals do it for a low rate of pay compared with western countries. Much of such work is to a lower standard too, though I would hope that the new luxury partments are to a higher standard. maybe there could be opportunities in that market, but it would be as a teacher or skills provider not as an artisan but without Chinese language skills it would be difficult. He might try contacting the big international builders - you never know.

The other advice we always give in here is to start a business. There is a a growing rich class with money to spend. maybe there is a way he can provide a service to this market. However he would need to be here for a hile and find a good local partner who understands the goals and will dilligently help achieve them. Alternatively he might seek out the toolmakers etc and see if he can find a market overseas. Even if he doesnt it will keep him out of mischief for a while you earn!
Oct 31, 2007 22:54
  • APAULT
There is very little possibility of finding this type of work. The locals do it for a low rate of pay compared with western countries. Much of such work is to a lower standard too, though I would hope that the new luxury partments are to a higher standard. maybe there could be opportunities in that market, but it would be as a teacher or skills provider not as an artisan but without Chinese language skills it would be difficult. He might try contacting the big international builders - you never know.

The other advice we always give in here is to start a business. There is a a growing rich class with money to spend. maybe there is a way he can provide a service to this market. However he would need to be here for a hile and find a good local partner who understands the goals and will dilligently help achieve them. Alternatively he might seek out the toolmakers etc and see if he can find a market overseas. Even if he doesn't, it will keep him out of mischief while you earn!
Nov 1, 2007 05:39
GUESTDONNA H... Thanks for your advice. I will need to give our situation more consideration.
Hopefully something will turn up!

Rgds

Donna
Post a Reply to: Expat employment
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code