Menu
What is your understanding of performance art?
Oct 31, 2007 02:11
  • ICEBERG
Shouldering nearly 50 pieces of bricks and walking on the street for about 2 hours, a student of a certain college in Yunnan Province claims that this is PERFORMANCE ART as well as his best gift to his friends because he will leave for Beijing. If it is his 'perfomance', why did he feel painful judging from his face? At least for me, I could not understand his performance art.

At present, many young guys do something surprising to attract others' attention in the name of performance art. Not long ago, a so called artist put a large breast pattern on a pedestal formed by one million yuan and said that it was his performance art work.Such cases frequently happen in China now. All of them claim that what they have done is 'performance art'. However, most audience could not understand what they want to express. Is it because that we do not have a high art taste?

My friends, what is your understanding of performance art?

Oct 31, 2007 05:06
  • CARLOS
I have never understood nor have I liked performance art. Maybe I really don´t have a high art taste.
Once the theatre universuty students made an act where they threw, well, shit on people. In court they said it was performance art. Luckily the judge didn´t agree with them.

To my understanding performance art is only a way to some people to express themselves in weird way. I think they don´t want to create art, only uppset people and, if lucky, get name or photo in some news.

Besides, after publishing, performance art stops existing, so not too much use for that anyway.
Oct 31, 2007 14:05
  • GRIZ326
Theatre arts students were "far out and left arm" (crazy and stupid) even when I was in university. I always considered most theatre arts students to be looking for excuses for their bad behavior.

>>>However, most audience could not understand what they want to express. Is it because that we do not have a high art taste?

There is nothing wrong with you or your fellow countrymen who do not understand.

The biggest mistake you and your countrymen could make with regards to "performance art" is attempting to understand it. Once those wackos get you considering the possibility that they have some special insights, they will be selling you "oceanfront property in Sichuan!" ("oceanfront property in arizona" is a line from a country-western song)
Oct 31, 2007 15:49
  • JCNILE123
whatever!
Oct 31, 2007 20:47
  • ICEBERG
Quote: The biggest mistake you and your countrymen could make with regards to "performance art" is attempting to understand it. Once those wackos get you considering the possibility that they have some special insights, they will be selling you "oceanfront property in Sichuan!"

I think that you are right, Griz. Maybe those theatre arts students do not understand it too. Now that it ist hard to understand, why not let it be? But I am wondering that if the real performance art exists.
Post a Reply to: What is your understanding of performance art?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code