Menu
Guangzhou or Hong Kong
Oct 31, 2007 23:31
  • APAULT
Does anyone know if there are any significant price differences between flying to/from HK or Guangzhou to international destinations - especially Australia and Europe?
Oct 31, 2007 23:50
GUEST97133 There are many many airlines that fly in and out of Hong Kong, but not so many that fly to Guangzhou. Therefore there is the advantage of price competition. I have flown through HK from Europe to Oz a few times.

It is very simple to get from Guangzhou to HK either way.

Nov 1, 2007 00:20
  • BETWEENUS21
it depends Apault, generally if one flies by Chinese airlines like China Southern n Air China from Guangzhou to Europe or aussie, the fares are lower somewhat than from HK on other national airlines. However of course, it also depends on the date of travel like during peak season or not. But then again some would say the inflight service onboard chinese airlines are "below" that of foreign airlines.
Nov 1, 2007 02:29
  • FAERIEQUEENE
The price depends on the choice of airline you intend to fly, and for a long distance flight you are taking that decision. Chinese airlines have generally cheaper fares than other national airlines. It's not a matter of the locations. Take for an example if i choose to fly Air France from Guangzhou or HK, or even Beijing to Paris, the price is the same.

But comparisons are interesting for short distance flights, especially within China, between travelling from HK versus from Guangzhou or Shenzhen to other locations in China and even some routes in Asia, as chinese airlines have of course a better coverage and more frequent flights, plus cheaper fares
Nov 9, 2007 01:50
  • BARONTWANGLE
The main difference is the Tax you will pay. HKIA is a more expensive airport to run than Bai Yun, so the taxes are higher regardless of which airline you use. However, there is way more carrier choice from HK, but you have to add on the transport costs of getting there from GZ (a minimum of 300RMB return), and possibly a hotel if you have an early departure or a late return (so another 600RMB). All weighed up however, with Oasis (www.oasishongkong) soon to be flying to San Fran, Germany, and Australia, then this is probably your cheapest bet.
Nov 10, 2007 10:21
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Paul,
I got a great deal flying QF. Code sharing China Southern from Guangzhou to HK QF to Sydney or Brisbane return. You can Open Jaw. Cheapest flight I've ever seen home and it's an overnight going down and a day trip coming back. My only snag was in Guangzhou the airport was closing up and my booked domestic flight with Sichuan Airlines had been cancelled leaving me stranded there for the night. They paid for the hotel.

International flight was less than Y6000 and I've been told is available all year but with limited seating on the Hk Sectors as the flights originate in London.

Flight Centre did my ticketing and a friend bought the tickets across for me but I would have used FEDex

Nov 10, 2007 10:43
  • APAULT
Hmmm... it seems there is not much to choose between HK and Guangzhou as departure points. I did notice in a trip to HK this week that there are 'bucket shops' there based on the UK model, but I didn't make any enquiries. I guess the answer is to shop around.
Post a Reply to: Guangzhou or Hong Kong
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code