Menu
Moral dilemma
Nov 3, 2007 17:09
  • GRIZ326
Getting away with it is the key.

How do you spend $4 million USD quietly???

I'd give it a go though....

Many years ago I met a man who had robbed 10 banks to pay off his gambling debts...and for the excitement. He always said that if you are going to commit a crime you must do it alone and tell no one. The other thing he said is that you must be able to lie successfully. I cannot lie; the moment my mouth speaks a half truth my face, eyes and body scream that I am not being truthful. That fact has taught me to always tell the truth. ...so I could never stand up to a police interrogation.

(BTW - the bank robber was in prison for 10 years before being released on parole. NO - I did not meet him in prison ;-) )

Nov 4, 2007 02:09
  • CARLOS
Heh, I don´t believe myself, either.
But what´s the problem with cash money? Here can pay with cash almost anything, no problems, as long as keep the amount small. If go buy a car with cash, maybe someone might get suspicious.
I have never been to US, but have been told that using cash money there is not very usual. More common to pay with credit card. Whether it is true or not, I don´t know. If it is, then it is easier to get attention by paying with cash.

4 million, I think is quite easy to keep under the mattress and use it quietly if have some legal income too.

Nov 4, 2007 06:12
  • YEMMIE
I suppose it is most likely criminal money. It is unlikely (though I suppose not entirely impossible) that someone honest would take $4 million cash with him on an airplane. So :

1. If it was obtained illegally through robbery or theft, it should be turned in to the police because the rightful owners should get it back.
2. If it is drug money, or something like that, it should be turned in because there are laws on the books that say that such assets should be seized by the state to fund fighting such crimes.
3. If by some miracle, it belongs to a basically honest person who was ignorant of the laws regarding how much money can be taken out of the country, then it should be truned in so that maybe somehow it can be returned to the owner, if he is still alive, or to his rightful heirs. (I am reminded of my maternal great grandfather. He lost most of his fortune during the Great Depression in the 1930s. Because of this, he never trusted banks again. For the rest of his life, he kept all of his money in a big trunk in his bedroom. He counted it every Friday night.)
4. And finally, there are two sayings that are "right on target" here.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
A truly moral person will do the same thing in the dark that he would do in the light.

I am not claiming to be a perfect example of such a person, but I understand the concept.
Nov 4, 2007 10:03
  • GRIZ326
Ahhhhh...YEMMIE...I was raised to do the right thing...but bringing a bag of cash into a police department without television reporters in tow only puts the $4 million USD under the policeman's bed.

...and CARLOS, I only spend cash in the US...except when buying online. It would require tremendous discipline not to buy things beyond your means...things that would attract attention....

Nov 4, 2007 11:03
  • APAULT
If someone can afford to lose a sum of money like that... I will look after it for him more carefully! I will happily spend it slowly to avoid suspicion.
Nov 5, 2007 01:03
If someone can afford to lose a sum of money like that... I will look after it for him more carefully! I will happily spend it slowly to avoid suspicion.

Very wise Paul, I would avoid suspicion by going to China because everyone who knows me are fully aware this is my intention, they would think I had got myself a loan to pay for it, any other luxery would give the game away.
Alan.
Nov 5, 2007 03:08
  • DODGER
I find it hard to believe that anyone (in his right mind) would take the money to a Police station.
Some year ago a man that I new asked me how to launder money. I replied, buy an opal mine, an antique shop and import American cars. He did all of theses things.
The last I heard was that he was in jail.
But the funniest thing was that on visiting day 3 Woman turned up saying that they where his wife. So the greedy bloke had 3 families plus 3 dogs.
The really sick part of the story is that he was jailed in a new prison wing named after his father.
Show me the money…ha
Dodger.
Nov 6, 2007 14:55
  • CARLOS
Ok, Griz,
I think I´ve learned much more about outer world and it´s people in this forum within few months than in school ever. I have a credit card, too, but choose to pay with cash. Cash is easier to count quickly than visa account statement, heh.
Nov 10, 2007 21:49
GUEST24215 The title of this thread is "Moral..". Some members term it as "Risk..". Interesting ...:)
I think it is a reflection of the difference in home -education and upbringing.
For me, cheers to those who think this is a moral issue.
Nov 11, 2007 01:23
  • LOVEISVERB
That's sharp, GUEST24215:-)
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Moral dilemma
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code