Menu
driver's license in china.. wiki article?
Nov 3, 2007 22:30
  • TOMINOS
http://wikitravel.org/en/Driving_in_China

anyone have a clue as to what the link is referring to when it says, early in 2007, this will change. (talking about IDP - international driver permit).
Nov 4, 2007 10:46
  • APAULT
The writer highlighted the previous sentence... so I think we should read the sentence following as refering to that. Thus: "You need a Chinese license to drive in China.
However, this will change in early 2007."

This sems to fit with what a few people have said in the forum - there are options to get a local licence. We have advertisers (Including one in the last 24 hours) who say they can get licences for foreigners.
Nov 9, 2007 08:49
  • JABAROOTOO
That article, while interesting and offering practical insights and tips for driving in China is not all that clear about the licence procuring procedure or impending changes.

I've been told that the written test as of Jan 2007 is now computerized which I take to mean is a National Test and it must now be taken in person by the foreigner with or without the assistance of a translator. It is only available in Chinese.

If you have had your current national licence for more than three years you will not be required to take the physical driving test.

A medical is also required. The only place in China that allows you to drive on and IDP is Hainan Island Which receives a lot of visitors and self driving is relatively easy and relaxing compared to other larger cities.

However this can differ from Province to Province and depends on several other variable.
Nov 13, 2007 07:12
  • TOMINOS
whoa. didn't realize there were replies to this thread..

me and my dad are in the process of trying to get our driver's license in guangzhou. apparently, the test is now computerized and can be taken in english also. that is what the person at the dmv told my dad, however i cannot find the booklet for the test in english. so i don't know how that will help me. also, you will need a residence permit to apply for your driver's license which we are trying to figure out. anyone have any more info?

there are companies who will get you the driver's license for a fee of 3500+ yuan, i think they even take the test for you, or at least tell you all the answers when they're translating. not a bad way to go, but it is quite expensive.
Nov 16, 2007 05:52
  • APAULT
Yes there are companies that will do that for you. Then, the licence is expensive too.
Post a Reply to: driver's license in china.. wiki article?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code