Menu
Printing .pdf and .doc files in China
Nov 6, 2007 22:38
  • CANADAGUY
Hi Folks,

I hope some friends living in China can help me out here.

I have sent some documents to a friend in China for them to print out. These documents are mainly .pdf files, I chose this format because it's like taking a picture of a document. Everyone who opens these files around the world should see exactly the same thing.

My friend can see the documents on the screen but when they try to print them, the documents are very small and difficult to read.

The have told me they have Adobe software, so I assume they have the reader that's capable of viewing and printing the .pdf files.

Would anyone know what might be causing the problem?

In a similar vein, does the Chinese version of Word have the standard English fonts that we have the west like:
Times New Roman, Arial, etc.?
If a .doc file is sent in an e-mail, can you open it up and read it with its proper English fonts?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2007 00:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes to your second query - all the same
but no idea what can be the problem with the PDF's
Nov 8, 2007 18:39
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks JABAROOTOO.

I figured out what the problem was.
Prior to a couple days ago I was under the impression that all .pdf files will look and print the same on everyone's computer system.

I have since discovered that depending on how the .pdf file was created, it can be displayed/print in many different ways.

You can save a file to be: viewed on your computer screen, viewed on 'the web', printed, and printed professionally.

And most importantly, you can imbed your fonts/objects or not imbed them!
Trouble starts happening when you don't imbed them.
Nov 9, 2007 08:40
  • CARLOS
In Nanning, and I suppose about all other Chinese cities, there are some kind of printing (or copy) offices. We wnet one of them, I had my USB stick with me. Stick to computer and then printed out PDF:s, English ones.
They had no problems at all. No need to adjust anything, only show file on screen and then print it.
Only I had to show that guy the way, because my files were named in Finnish.

Carlos
Nov 9, 2007 22:56
  • CANADAGUY
Yes, Carlos, probably 95%+ of the time, .pdfs look and print just fine.
It's usually a pretty safe bet for getting the job done.
Nov 10, 2007 10:13
  • APAULT
I have a strong computer b/g but I didnt know that! I do now!
Nov 18, 2007 20:53
  • GRIZ326
In the printer settings of the PDF driver there is a setting to have the document sized to the size of the paper. I do not remember the exact terminology now.
Nov 18, 2007 21:11
  • CANADAGUY
>>In the printer settings of the PDF driver there is a setting to have the document sized to the size of the paper. I do not remember the exact terminology now.<<

That's correct Griz.

But there are other options that most people
don't get into when they create a .pdf file.

Options that allow you to embed fonts or not, use high/low compression, etc etc. It's these options that can really alter the look of a document when printed on other people's computers.

Post a Reply to: Printing .pdf and .doc files in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code