Menu
Tennis Masters Cup - Shanghai
Nov 11, 2007 17:49
  • CANADAGUY
Is anyone here watching this tournament?
Anyone going to the tournament in Shanghai?

For me it's not really an important tennis tournament in comparison to the majors, but it's still fun to watch some of the best players in the world.

Nov 11, 2007 20:39
  • KEVIN0518
Canadaguy, are you a tennis fan? It seems that you are interested in tennis. I also like watching tennis games, but I can not play it.
Nov 12, 2007 20:02
  • CANADAGUY
>>Canadaguy, are you a tennis fan? It seems that you are interested in tennis. I also like watching tennis games, but I can not play it.<<

Yes, I guess you could say I'm a big tennis fan now. I lost touch as a fan for several years but I'm back now trying to catch up on what I've missed.

Being a fan always takes second place to actually playing the game though.

Tennis is my favourite sport to play, but I must always be careful with injuries! :(
It's a great game!

Nov 15, 2007 00:35
  • KEVIN0518
Agree, CANADAGUY. I like playing badminton since it is easy.What's more, you seldom get injured.
Nov 15, 2007 14:36
  • CANADAGUY
>>Agree, CANADAGUY. I like playing badminton since it is easy.What's more, you seldom get injured.<<

Yes badminton is a great sport too, although I seldom play it now.

Years ago I played it for a while and discovered very quickly (while playing singles) that you get much more of a workout than you do playing tennis! This assumes you play someone who is at least on your level or better.

I was totally surprised by this.

And yes, because the racket is so much lighter and you are hitting a light bird rather than a heavier ball, your risks of injury are much less.

Maybe you can explain why badminton is so popular amongst the Chinese?

Nov 16, 2007 00:17
  • KEVIN0518
Hi, CANADAGUY. As we know, badminton was invented by English people. However, I think that Asian people are more suitable to play badminton since they are more flexible. Of course, here are some European guys who are good at playing badminton, for example, ERIKSEN from Denmark. I wonder if you have ever heard of Lin Dan from China and Hidayat Taufik from Indonesia. Both are top badminton players in the world.

Personally, I think men's double games are more fierce and interesting thant men's singles (If you watch it, you must have noticed this).
Nov 17, 2007 20:50
  • CANADAGUY
>> However, I think that Asian people are more suitable to play badminton since they are more flexible. <<

I think there is some merit to this point of view.

>> I wonder if you have ever heard of Lin Dan from China and Hidayat Taufik from Indonesia. Both are top badminton players in the world. <<

No I'm not familiar with them as I don't follow badminton at all.
However I am familiar with the top tennis players in the world! :)

>>Personally, I think men's double games are more fierce and interesting thant men's singles (If you watch it, you must have noticed this). <<

Yes I would agree that doubles is a much faster paced game.
As a club player though, I don't think you'd get quite the same physical workout though as you could when playing singles.
But it's fun to mix things up by playing doubles and singles.

We do that at the tennis club too.
Nov 19, 2007 19:41
  • KEVIN0518
Quote: I don't think you'd get quite the same physical workout though as you could when playing singles.

Yes, CANADAGUY. Although men's singles are not as fierce as doulbes, you can get much physical workout. After IBF changed badminton rules, the games become more fierce and faster paced. However, the future of badminton is not bright. Some people even suggest that badminton should be eliminated from Olympic Games. If it came true, I would be very disappointed.

BTW, I am familiar with some top tennis players too, such as Federer, Nadal and Agassi. It seems that Federer and Nadal are old enemies on tennis court. Who is your favourite, CANADAGUY?
Nov 20, 2007 22:54
  • CANADAGUY
>>However, the future of badminton is not bright. Some people even suggest that badminton should be eliminated from Olympic Games. If it came true, I would be very disappointed.<<

That's really too bad. I hope it lives on.

>>BTW, I am familiar with some top tennis players too, such as Federer, Nadal and Agassi. It seems that Federer and Nadal are old enemies on tennis court. Who is your favourite, CANADAGUY?<<

My favourite player right now is Federer, like most people around the world.
I've watched a lot of tennis in my day but I've never seen such a complete player as Roger. He makes the game look easy, but anyone who plays knows how difficult his shots actually are.
I also like David Nalbandian who's been on a role lately.

Nov 22, 2007 03:36
  • KEVIN0518
I really do not want to see badminton disappear from Olympic Games. Why someone suggest removing badminton? Is it because that China and other Asian nations always win the champions?
Post a Reply to: Tennis Masters Cup - Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code