Menu
Marriage in China & what I need to know
Nov 12, 2007 20:40
  • ARIES52
Hello All,

I will be getting married in China this December. We both decided on the K3 visa route. I was talking with this wonderful lady about the marriage customs because I want to honor her. The reply back was 3 things are important: the wedding and the agency, the rings, and the banquent. The prep work for the wedding is taken care of with the offical documents proving I am single. The other two, I am not getting information out of her on what needs to be done. I have asked several times about the rings on what she would like and I have sent pictures of what I would like. All I have gotten is we will talk about the rings later.

The question is, what am i missing here and be wise in the line I must walk. Some one pleeeeaaaaasee fill me in on these three things.

Thanks much,

Aries52
Nov 21, 2007 00:09
  • THEBALANCE
Rings aren't part of the custom in China so it probably doesn't even cross her mind - likely she'll only wear it occasionally (my wife wears hers about half the time). As for the banquet, just pick a hotel and they'll do the rest according to your budget - they all do this regularly and most of the menus are pretty much set.
Nov 23, 2007 20:53
  • MICKKINCHINA
Yes I agree! you have pretty well got it in a nut shell, although I would have a hard time trying to get my wife not to wear her wedding ring.
Nov 24, 2007 22:20
  • LIONPOWER
Go ahead, these are not problem
Nov 25, 2007 07:40
  • APAULT
In terms of local customs, you don't have to worry. Simply, you have a choice: do as she says, or regret it forever. ie regardless of the details 'she' will make the decisions - it is the same as in your own country! Macro culture is the same even if the micro culture varies a tad.
Nov 29, 2007 14:07
  • GRIZ326
>>>you have a choice: do as she says, or regret it forever<<<

When I read that, Paul, my tea shot out of my nostrels. You can really be funny...but you're sneaky about it! ;-)
Post a Reply to: Marriage in China & what I need to know
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code