Menu
Does Chinese fiancee need to learn English?
Nov 15, 2007 22:19
  • BALANCE
I am a U.S. citizen in love with a Chinese woman. We met in China, and I want to obtain a fiancee (K-1) Visa and bring her to the U.S. I was under the impression that, besides all the paperwork, that a Chinese woman wanting to marry an American man had to pass some sort of English test during her interview at the U.S. Embassy. I'm surprised at how little information I have been able to find about this.

I am trying to ascertain if this is true, and if so, to get an idea of how much English she would need to speak and/or write. The more precisely I can learn what she needs to know, the better. She speaks only a little English now. If she needs to speak English for this interview, it seems getting her help in learning what she needs to know would be one of the first steps. Once I start the process of bringing her here, I want to do all the necessary things so that the process is successful and we can be together. But I don't want to put more energy into getting her help and worrying about her learning English for the interview than is necessary.

Can anyone help with information or guidance related to this issue?
Nov 16, 2007 05:19
  • APAULT
If nothing else, it will help show commitment if she speaks English, especially if you don't speak Chinese.
Nov 16, 2007 07:33
  • JCNILE123
To get a k1 visa, the answer is no, it is not a
requirement of the USA gov as we speak.
As a means of communication yes, it will help
your relationship to be better.
Nov 16, 2007 08:22
  • BALANCE
Thanks for the input. I agree. She is learning English part time at a local school, but taking classes once a week because she works full time. I am taking Chinese class once a week also and doing my best to learn some Chinese.
Nov 16, 2007 08:27
  • BALANCE
Thanks for the information. That is good news. It will be one less bureaucratic hurdle. We both want to be able to communicate more freely and are both learning each other's language, but I wanted to determine if she needed to enroll in a more intensive English class. It is less pressure to know that we are learning because we want to communicate better than to feel that she might rejected on this grounds.
Post a Reply to: Does Chinese fiancee need to learn English?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code