Menu
What would you do with $1.6 trillion?
Nov 17, 2007 20:44
  • CANADAGUY
The economic costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are estimated to total $1.6 trillion — roughly double the amount the White House has requested thus far, according to a new report by Democrats on Congress' Joint Economic Committee.

According to World Bank estimates, $30 billion would provide a year of primary education for every child on earth while $54 billion a year would eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally by 2015,

At the upper range of those estimates, the $1.6 trillion cost of the wars could have fed and educated the world's poor for more than 15 years!

Nov 18, 2007 00:18
  • GURTY
Incredible number. Peace, anyway, seek for peace.
Nov 18, 2007 11:24
  • GRIZ326
The money would be better spend invading Canada to take your oil fields and diamond mines.

;-)
Nov 18, 2007 20:01
  • LEONARDO
"The economic costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are estimated to total $1.6 trillion"

"According to World Bank estimates, $30 billion would provide a year of primary education for every child on earth while $54 billion a year would eliminate starvation and malnutrition globally by 2015"

$1.6 trillion. An astronomical number, indeed! I felt no surprised at all when I read the "incredible number". It is the usual way that the rich US handled their money. Canadaguy, there is a theroy in the discipline of International Relation: national interest is on the top priority of all interests. The hidden meaning of the theory is that there is no charity between countries. Undeniably, some charitable deeds occurred every now and then, especially when disasters happened, relief funds flooded in. I am not going to say that all the countries who perform charitable deeds have some shady motives. However, some charitable deeds are for show. Don't expect that $1.6 trillion could be used to do something nobler. If the money was not abused to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, if might be spent (as Griz326 said) "invading Canada to take your oil fields and diamond mines". (I am joking). Anyway, the politicians' political motive is too complicated for us to grasp.

$1.6 trillion can make a difference for countless ones who lived on the edge of poverty and starvation!
$1.6 trillion can make numerous kids who who lived in the slums well fed and better educated.
In fact, $1.6 trillion can achieved so many noble ideals that I can not list all of them here.( Perhaps, it is unnecessary).
Nov 18, 2007 21:04
  • CANADAGUY
>>there is a theroy in the discipline of International Relation: national interest is on the top priority of all interests. The hidden meaning of the theory is that there is no charity between countries.<<

Leonardo, unfortunately I must agree with you on this one.
I can't help but think of John Lennon's lyrics to "Imagine".

'Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one'

Nov 18, 2007 21:40
  • LEONARDO
Canadaguy,

Thanks for sharing the inspiring lyrics! It is quite well-writtten.

Quote:
"You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one"

Actually, I am a dreamer myself and most of us do dream. Personally, I think dream is the best thing in the world. Where there is a dream, there is a hope, there is a potential way to make it come true.

Martin Luther King's great speech ' I Have A Dream" inspired numerous followers to strive for "the Grand Dream". If there had been no "the Grand Dream", there would have no equal rights for the "colored people".

However, we have to bear in mind that there is a conflict between dream ( ideals) and the reality. We should not lose faith in the forwarding human civilization, but we have to be aware that there are many stumbling-blocks that hinder the development of human society.

Canadaguy, I hold no disagreement with you on these points. The above words are just my superficial
understanding of the world. I sincerely hope that the visions John Lennon envisioned in his lyrics will come true soon. I wish that I can have ther chance to live in the Utopia that More has depicted several centuries ago. Anyhow, it is a wish.

Cheers
Nov 23, 2007 02:34
  • YVONNE
Quote:

"The economic costs of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are estimated to total $1.6 trillion".

"At the upper range of those estimates, the At the upper range of those estimates, the $1.6 trillion cost of the wars could have fed and educated the world's poor for more than 15 years!"

Yes, the $1.6 trillion could help numerous people out of poverty. $1.6 trillion can eliminate poverty and starvation in Africa. However, this is only our good wishes. The question is that US doesn't have the will to salvage the suffered. The money waging the wars would probably worsen the living standards of both Iraqis and Afghanistani.

Dec 18, 2007 21:11
  • FRANKENSTEIN
USA has the right to handle their dollars. Invade Irap, Afganistan. It is also likely that the dollars would be used to invade Canada.
Dec 19, 2007 14:56
  • CANADAGUY
Well the U.S. could successfully invade Canada anytime it chooses. It certainly has the money and resources to do so.

It is quite unlikely however. What is more likely is voluntary annexation of Canada into the U.S. This could easily occur within the next 100 years.

The more the U.S. depletes is natural resources, the more likely the above scenario becomes.

Post a Reply to: What would you do with $1.6 trillion?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code