Menu
Length of time needed
Nov 19, 2007 08:44
  • ELLYSE
Will be going with a friend or two to Yunnan province in the 2nd half of January. All of us are native Mandarin speakers and fairly well-travelled in mainland China.

They will be on their 1st visit there. I will be on my 2nd. Previously I've already seen Kunming (including Stone Forest), Dali, Lijiang, Tiger Leaping Gorge, Zhongdian and the Meilixueshan sunrise at Feilai Si.

We're interested in covering the "usual tourist sights" at each place. Not into trekking and hiking. We travel and sightsee relatively quickly, on a somewhat mid-range budget -- about 400 RMB/day per person. We should be flying round-trip Shanghai -- Kunming.

How much time should we allow for each of the following destinations?
- Xishuangbanna --> What are the main spots to see, if I'm estimating a max of 3 days?
- Lugu Lake
- Lijiang --> No need to hike Tiger Leaping Gorge.
- Kunming --> Want to see the Black Stone Forest, but not the Stone Forest.
- Tengchong
- round-trip from Zhongdian to Feilai Si --> I estimate 2 days.
- Zhongdian --> No priority to see all the Tibetan culture here, we've been to other Tibetan regions before.
- Chuxiong --> Want to see Yuanmou Earth Forest.

Also, if anyone has accommodation recommendations -- roughly 120-200 RMB/night for twin/triple with ensuite -- I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks in advance!
Nov 19, 2007 08:58
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Sounds like you are looking for the less usual while your friends got to cover the usual, need a compromise, unless you travel slowly but you also talk about it's got to be quick...
Nov 19, 2007 09:24
  • ELLYSE
No worries, the list of destinations that I put down are basically what we're all wanting to see. They're quite ok with missing Dali etc. After we've figured out how many days each place needs, we'll try to trim down the list again. So... any suggestions there? :)
Nov 23, 2007 05:51
  • FAERIEQUEENE
hi ellyse, could only share with you my envisioned second yunnan trip - picking up a theme, follow the tea caravan trail (pu'er/kunming, lijiang, dali, zhongdian, lugu lake, kawagebo and further?)

and a little bump for you.:)
Nov 23, 2007 06:11
  • ELLYSE
Thanks Faerie. :)
Hmmm Pu'er/Qimen (where's the tea from?) sounds interesting. I wonder if I could fit it in...
Was originally also considering visiting Yuxi -- home of Nie Er (composer of the song that later became the national anthem of China) as well as the biggest tobacco producer in China.
Another question: What do the Yuanyang rice terraces look like in January???
Nov 24, 2007 10:04
  • FAERIEQUEENE
The rice fields are planted from March until harvest around October, during which the terraces should look in various degree of greens. In the rest of time ie in winter and early spring, the fields are irrigated until flooded. Many photographers are interested to shoot the flooded fields with reflections of the sky, and trees, at sunrises and sunsets, and the pattern created by the contrast of the soiled ridges and flooded fields.

check out photo sites to see how it looks like in various time of the year eg. http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/China/South/Yunnan/Yuanyang
or in flickr, type Yuanyang, and check the photo taken date in the details

but i'm afraid January might not be the best time, the fields should be empty, soil barren but should be watered, look at this one in Jan => http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asia/China/South/Yunnan/Yuanyang/photo584551.htm
Post a Reply to: Length of time needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code