Menu
Which way to cruise the Yangtze is better: upstream or downstream?
Nov 19, 2007 20:32
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hello,
I'm planning a trip to China in December and need some help. I want to visit the Three Gorges but am on a budget, so cannot take an expensive cruise for me. (my budget is about $35 a day). If I can I'd like to take a middle-class kind of boat, not the worst and not the best. Would it be safe for me to take a commuter ferry down the Yangtze? Have any of you traveled this way before? Just don't want to have my stuff stolen...

Also, what is the difference between traveling westbound and eastbound? I prefer to travel from Yichang to CHongqing (and then train onto Chengdu) but am wondering how much longer it will take to go upstream, and perhaps if I'm better traveling eastbound (from CHongqing to Yichang) instead. Which way is better, and how much faster is it?
THanks in advance for your help :-)
Nov 19, 2007 22:05
  • ELLYSE
Going west will cost you about 1-2 days extra.
The 3 Gorges cruise is one of my lousiest experiences out of all my travelling in China, actually. I went in January 2007 and it was a royal waste of my time and money.
Email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg ChynaGyrl) in the subject line, if you want a more detailed review with candid photos.
Nov 20, 2007 09:48
  • JABAROOTOO
the time difference is only a matter of hours not days as has been suggested. From Yichang to Chongqing by 'Cruise ship' whether it be for foreigners of a Chines boat takes two days and three nights. One night of which is often spent sleeping on board in port with an early morning departure.

The best way to do the Three Gorges is by hydrofoil and if you are going up river from Yichang to Chongqing I recommend the side trip to Shennong Xi. Read the reviews but take into consideration that the weather may well be foggy and visibility not good.

But as Elysse says the gorges is some what over-rated these days. there are other places to see the Yangtze that are far more spectacular.

Nov 20, 2007 21:29
  • ELLYSE
Hmmm, the difference was still at least 1 day when I researched this trip early this year.
Nov 21, 2007 09:30
  • JOEZHOU
Westbound is upstream (from Yichang to Chongqing) and eastbound is downstream (from Chongqing to Yichang) through the Yangtze River.
There are many cruises for foreigners.
The 5 star or 4 star cruises from Chongqing to Yichang will last three or four days and westbound last five days. The westbound is better. But your budget $35 a day definitely can't afford the cruise. The third-class of sightseeing steamboat from Yichang City of Hubei Province to Chongqing City may be suitable for your budget. It is not safe.
Get more information please mail gmail.com|travelingislife
YOUR SELF-TOURS IN CHINA IS OUR SPECIALTY.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP IN CHINA

Nov 21, 2007 09:30
  • JOEZHOU
Westbound is upstream (from Yichang to Chongqing) and eastbound is downstream (from Chongqing to Yichang) through the Yangtze River.
There are many cruises for foreigners.
The 5 star or 4 star cruises from Chongqing to Yichang will last three or four days and westbound last five days. The westbound is better. But your budget $35 a day definitely can't afford the cruise. The third-class of sightseeing steamboat from Yichang City of Hubei Province to Chongqing City may be suitable for your budget. It is not safe.
Get more information please mail gmail.com|travelingislife
YOUR SELF-TOURS IN CHINA IS OUR SPECIALTY.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP IN CHINA

Nov 28, 2007 08:16
  • JABAROOTOO
You can take a Chinese boat for less than US$100 from Yichang to Chongqing or visa versa. A little rough but OK or pay a little more for a twin berth cabin which would be more comfortable. Downstream is three nights and two days sailing with several stops for sightseeing. Upstream from Yichang to Chongqing ships leave harbour late evening or early morning and dock in Chongqing on the third morning. This is three nights aboard the ship and two days sailing and sightseeing.

Friends have recently done both passages and the times are from personal experience. It looks like four days because guests board the ship on the evening of the first day and leave the ship on the morning of the fourth day but it is still only three nights and two days sailing.
Nov 28, 2007 16:48
  • CHYNAGYRL
thanks for all your help. maybe i'll save this cruise for later... and visit around eastern China first...
Post a Reply to: Which way to cruise the Yangtze is better: upstream or downstream?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code