Menu
Beijing or Shanghai? Language problem?
Nov 19, 2007 23:49
  • COLLINDAR
Hello. Can someone in China help me answer this question?

How cold is Beijing in January? Does it snow? What degree?

This is my first time going to China. I'm Chinese and speak perfect Chinese (Mandarin) but grew up in United States. I'm looking for a local to guide me and maybe introduce me to other locals of my age, so I can make some friends, even, not just sight seeing. Originally I was planning to go to Shanghai in January next year, but someone told me I'd better speak Shanghainese if I want to mingle with the locals. Is that true? If so I'd better go to Beijing instead and find some guide in Beijing. But how cold is it there?

Thanks.
Nov 20, 2007 00:26
  • COLLINDAR
I should ask: how much is the train ticket between shanghai and beijing? and how long is the trip?

Thanks....
Nov 20, 2007 07:12
  • ELLYSE
Look on Weather Underground (Beijing) for historical weather data: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html
Yes, locals in Shanghai speak Shanghainese, but Mandarin is also widely spoken.
The common trains to take between Shanghai and Beijing are the overnight Z trains, 11.5 hours. Raw ticket cost for soft sleeper is 478/499 RMB for upper/lower bunk.
Nov 20, 2007 11:34
  • CHINADAVID
I was in Beijing ,January 2007. The weather is quite cold and if there's a wind it's very cold. I can recall temps. of minus 13 degrees in the evening plus wind chill factor. The atmosphere is very dry so there was'nt any frost.
It was dry and sunny during the day, pleasant but cold.
Nov 21, 2007 00:08
  • COLLINDAR
Hey Thanks for you guy's kind input. And thanks Ellysse.
Post a Reply to: Beijing or Shanghai? Language problem?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code