Menu
Zhuhai during Spring Festival
Nov 22, 2007 04:45
  • EDYHARTO
Hi, fellow travellers,

Here I am once again seeking your help. We intend to experience the mood and joy of Chinese Spring Festival in February 2008 in Zhuhai and perhaps in the nearby Macau. What is it like there? Are the shops open? What about the eateries especially those in the hotel - do they have any special menu for the celebrations? Thank you in advance.
Nov 22, 2007 07:38
  • FIGOWANGQD
HI EDYHARTO,
I'm a Chinese in Qingdao, North China, hope to give you some tips from this side.
Zhuhai locates in the south of China, so maybe there are some differences.
In north, there will be series of celebrations such as setting off firecrackers, going large shoppings, and specially playing traditional performs and so on. So just enjoy traditional China-the Chinese Spring Festival is the most important and excellent festival in China.
The shop will be closed early in the afternoon in the Festival Eve and the next following moening as possible.
The hotel maybe work.
Enjoy yourslef in China.
Glad to know more friends.
Figo in Qingdao.
MSN: hotmail.com|figowangfei
Nov 22, 2007 18:31
  • EDYHARTO
Hi, Figo,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am assured of a good time in Zhuhai. In fact, I like the place and I have visited it twice this year. The first time we went to Ocean Spring Resort, about one-and-a-half hour's drive from Zhuhai. The mood was excellent as we dipped into the various hot pools for their so-called therapeutic values - milk, red wine, coffee, etc, etc. It was good....
We have yet to experience the eve or the first day of the Chinese Spring Festival (Lunar New Year) and we are doing this next year.
Your tips help. I wonder though if there is any special food menu at the restaurant during these two days? Regards and Thank you again.
Nov 22, 2007 22:06
  • BETWEENUS21
its best to refer as "Chinese New Year" or Lunar New Year.
Nov 22, 2007 22:17
GUEST30214 HI EDYHARTO,

This is Sika from Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province. Actually, Zhuhai is a wonderful city for people to enjoy their holidays and it is a typical Southern city in China and people living there celebrate Spring Festival in a unique way. If lucky enouth, you can see the performence of Lion dance. Shops are bound to open and expecailly the supermarkets as it is the golden time for them and many children will spend their red pocket money in buying what they like and what they can afford. Of course, you can see the crowded streets come to be quiet in the afternoon of the eve for people will go home for their family union dinner. But now, more and more people used to have dinner in restaurant due to convenience.

As you know that Zhuhai is a coastal city and it is famous in seafood. I highly recommend you to try the mouth-watering food in a well-known place Hengqin Island(横琴岛). There they cook oyster in different ways. The Island is about 40 minutes' drive from centre of the city and almost all the drivers can send you there.
Nov 23, 2007 02:34
  • EDYHARTO
Thanks. Will do so henceforth. I thought this part of the world call it the Spring Festival. Actually for us in Singapore, we usually call it Chinese New Year!
Since I am on this post, perhaps, you can tell me more how Chinese New Year is celebrated in China in particular, will the shops and eateries remain open during the eve and the first few days. Thank you.
Nov 23, 2007 02:39
  • EDYHARTO
Hi Sika, Thanks for your tips and your recommendation to eat the mouth-watering oyster! I replied to the earlier post without seeing yours and hence I asked the question which you have answered!

Yeah, I like oyster but I like it eaten raw with lemon and other spices through in. When it is put into the mouth, the softness of the oyster just melt in the mouth which salivated naturally...

I understand that at Wanzhai there are a lot of seafood restaurants and oyster dish was mentioned. We will try it here first and maybe next time venture to the island you recommended. Regards.
Nov 23, 2007 10:03
  • APAULT
Betweenus: Why do you say that? All my students refer to it as the Spring Festival (bioth north and south China).

Non Chinese such as Koreans refer to it as Lunar New Year as the Spring Festival is not one of theirs, but as they celebrate it but are not Chinese, they would not call it Chinese New Year.
Nov 24, 2007 08:52
  • BETWEENUS21
its for the benefit of foreigners - to refer as Chinese New Year
Nov 25, 2007 19:47
  • LAZYCAT

Hi Edyharto, i am happy that you think my tips helpful. you could also enjoy the oyster as the way you like in Hengqin Island. The cook will fulfill your needs.^-^ You may try it next time.

Enjoy your time in China and wish you have an unforgetable trip!

Sika
Post a Reply to: Zhuhai during Spring Festival
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code