Menu
Will the cost of housing increase?
Nov 23, 2007 21:17
  • MICKKINCHINA
Hi everyone
I have a curious question! In the time that I have spent in china it has felt like home for me, like somewhere I should have been many years ago, Why is it that when many people come to china they like it so much that they really don’t want to leave? Can anyone tell me what makes china special to yourself? And why does it feel like home? When china opens up to the Olympics and people see that china really can be a holiday destination will this have an impact on the cost of housing?
Thanks 
Nov 24, 2007 14:53
  • GRIZ326
I have been to China 3 times and found each departure emotionally difficult. There is something very special about the warmth of the people.

Of course, ignorance is bliss. Perhaps if I spoke fluent Mandarin I might not have had the same experience. Could those smiling faces really be saying, "Look at that old, ugly, fat American, he thinks we are happy that he is here" or "He ordered chicken, let's see how he likes our snake" ;-)

Honestly, I do not believe that I have experienced that sort of deceit in China - although I have witnessed such things in the US with foreign visitors.

The warmth of the Chinese people feels genuine to me; I am confident that my warm feelings about China are credible.
Nov 24, 2007 14:55
  • GRIZ326
...oh...the cost of housing???

It is a capitalist society now; supply and demand will be the deterimining factor.
Nov 24, 2007 15:06
  • MICKKINCHINA
Thanks for your views Griz,
I agree that the Chinese people in general really do like foreign visitors, and when you get to spend some time with them and start to learn some spoken words, you find that the circle of friends just keeps increasing. They really are the most genuine race of people that I have met so far.
Me and my Lao po have already bought an apartment, I am wondering if it’s worth further investment! I suppose it’s just wait and see, costs per square metre are rising so quickly. Thanks again
Regards Michael
Nov 25, 2007 07:51
  • APAULT
The price of housing will definitely rise. Many people live in congested or sub standard conditions while at the same time they (overall) have more money. The demand is unsatiable at present. The prices will be limited only by the amount of money people have and are willing to spend on housing.
Nov 25, 2007 09:46
  • MICKKINCHINA
Thanks Paul
In the few years that I have been in China I have seen the change happening! Many people in the cities seem to have much more money to spend on leisure items. And from what I have seen housing seems to sell faster than they can make it, Thanks again for sharing your views Paul
Nov 25, 2007 23:18
GUEST16033 It's a funny thing really the price of housing here. I have been living in Xiamen for 5 years now and prices back in 2003 were 2500 to 3000 a m2 and in the past years they have more than tripled. The average price of a second place here is around 10000 rmb /m2 and new is up to 20 thou or more. But what really gets me is I have seen complexes that are 2 or 3 years old now with maybe 20% of the units occupied. Of the places built here it seems the prices keep going up and people must be buying but no one is living in them..........anyways thats my observations of Xiamen at least.
Nov 26, 2007 00:10
  • MICKKINCHINA
Hi 16033
Yes your right it's the same in hangzhou and Ningbo! many buildings seem to be being sold before they have even built them, but nobody seems to be moving in or even making them ready for living in.
I think that many people are just buying them for investment! waiting for the price like you said to tripple then they will do something with it.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Nov 28, 2007 06:18
  • CLAUDIUS
Yeah, this is what happens when the people are gaining wealth and jumping onto the bandwagon on house hunting. Statistics in 2005 showed that property is the most pursued after and invested in (second is education), and this is taken from survey conducted on everyday people on the street.
In Jingzhou, Hubei, there is this cluster of new apartments just next to the central square in the city, and during the night, you can probably see about 5 apartments with lights on. This is 5 out of perhaps a thousand units in six 30 storey blocks. Guess what, it is almost half sold despite the fact that it is still contructing and valued at three times the price of a neighbouring estate.
Post a Reply to: Will the cost of housing increase?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code