Menu
Dragon or loong?
Nov 26, 2007 01:23
  • KATRINA
Recently, a heated discussion has been held among Chinese people, that is, whether we should retranslate Chinese long 2(龙). In China, dragon enjoys a very high status. The most convinced example is that Chinese people claim that they are the descendants of dragon. Why do they discuss this issue? Many people think that dragon has some derogatory meanings in the west. Dragon is the symbol of evils. In western movies, you see that dragon is evil. Meanwhile, dragon has been used by the media to symbolize terrorism, Fascist, finance deficit etc. Chinese people are compared to be red dragon. However, red dragon is the biggest devil in Christian legend.

Thus, people think that it is improper to translate Chinese long into dragon because dragon has distorted the original meaning of long. 'Loong' is the word invented to describe Chinese long. What do you think? Which is good, dragon or loong?

Nov 26, 2007 14:19
  • GRIZ326
Even though this has been discussed before, I have never seen an explanation of why you and many of your peers believe that: "Dragon is the symbol of evils. In western movies, you see that dragon is evil."

I am a western man and never came away with that impression of the dragon.

And I was raised a Catholic. I do not understand this: "red dragon is the biggest devil in Christian legend."

Maybe some one could explain this to me.

I can understand your concerns if they are well-founded, but I am not certain that they are well-founded.
Many people think that dragon has some derogatory meanings in the west. Dragon is the symbol of evils. In western movies, you see that dragon is evil. Meanwhile, dragon has been used by the media to symbolize terrorism, Fascist, finance deficit etc. Chinese people are compared to be red dragon. However, red dragon is the biggest devil in Christian legend.
Nov 26, 2007 16:38
  • JCNILE123
That tiny dragon on the picture, look gray and nice to me.
I see no evil on it.
I see no red on it.
Nov 30, 2007 03:38
GUEST631 Dragon is an evil monster in the west. It is better to change the name. Long is oK. Why choose " Loong"?
Nov 30, 2007 06:06
Why change it's name? I don't see a problem, I don't think a dragon is evil at all.
I like my dragon tattoo I had done in Hong Kong in 1988
Alan
Nov 30, 2007 08:59
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I think that dragon in the pic is cute. ;-)
Nov 30, 2007 10:16
  • JCNILE123
I call my self a Christian and I am a Christian.
Moreover, as I know: most religions on the west, USE Christianity as a motto to advance religion.
Therefore, I am out of the religion scheme and focus only on Christianity as a belief.
I respectfully take the dragon as a Chinese issue and have no negative opinion of it.
As Shegottobe said, I second her (the dragon on the picture is cute) and very likable.
More over Christianity offers love and understanding as the center of its teachings with Jesus as the supreme leader to follow.

Quote,
<<<Dragon is the symbol of evils. In western movies, you see that dragon is evil. Meanwhile, dragon has been used by the media to symbolize terrorism, Fascist, finance deficit etc. Chinese people are compared to be red dragon. However, red dragon is the biggest devil in Christian legend.>>>

Christian writings have never made a drawing of a dragon, however, religious organizations and groups have.
This particular groups and churches claims to represent Christianity, the fact is, they only represent a group of fanatics and zealots that have nothing to do with the teachings of the founder of Christianity, that is Jesus.

Jesus teachings are very simple and far-reaching, #1 Love God above all, #2 Love your neighbor as you want be loved.
If you do that, you have fulfilled God’s desire.

Concerning the respect, we most have for government, Jesus teach that we most give to government whatever belongs to government, and give God whatever belongs to God, by this, in no way Christianity is to be used to challenge the political system as many religions want to use the believers on to do and to act accordingly.
Dec 1, 2007 10:09
  • LIONPOWER
In religious issue, we did not come to a point as different Religious have different philosophy.
But we should respect all religion and the believers.

Post a Reply to: Dragon or loong?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code