Menu
Internet habits, East vs. West
Nov 26, 2007 20:24
  • CANADAGUY
A fascinating study was released a few days ago that showed Chinese youth are much more addicted to the internet than their American counterparts.

The survey was taken by internet users aged 16-25.
42% of the Chinese youth surveyed said they sometimes feel “addicted” to the web. In contrast, 18% of the U.S. youth surveyed said they sometimes feel “addicted” to the web.

The report suggested the web is a source of freedom and expression in China, more so than in the U.S. Almost three-quarters of Chinese respondents said they felt free to do things online that they would not do in regular life, compared to one-third of U.S. youth.

The survey also found that less than 33% of American youth polled said the web contributes to their social life, but 77% of Chinese respondents said it helped them make friends.

25% of the Chinese youth said they would not feel OK going without internet access for more than a day, while only 12% of U.S. respondents felt that way.

It should be noted that only about 10% of China’s
population uses the internet.
In contrast, 70% of the U.S. population uses the internet.

The entire article can be found here:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/11/23/youth-web-use.html
Nov 27, 2007 03:43
  • JIMMYB
I agree on what the survey said. Internet has developed in China too fast and Chinese people have not prepared for dealing with it. When I was in high school, there were very small amout of net-bars in my city. By now, you can see net-bars almost everywhere (I mean in the downtown area). When we realize that Internet (to be precise, computer) is a two-edged sword and it has brought side-effects, the situation has been getting worse. Very sad.
Nov 29, 2007 21:35
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Interesting.

When I was in Beijing, I didn't see any internet cafe. Maybe I just didn't know where to look or maybe the signs are written in Chinese. I know there's Starbucks but since I didn't bring my laptop, it's no use for me. Luckily, there's a free internet access at the hotel I stayed at.

Bangkok Pratunam area is dotted with lots of internet cafes but in Hongkong, I had a serious internet withdrawal period. I couldn't find any internet cafe in Kowloon and there's none even in the hotel. I finally found one cafe along Nathan Road but it was packed with tourists using the computers. Finally, I had to go into an Irish Pub because it was the only one I can find that offers internet access for a fee. I forgot how much I paid per hour though. ^_^"
Dec 6, 2007 04:02
GUESTRATTYFAIDA m.. why this page opening so slow?
Dec 11, 2007 03:51
GUEST27515 Yes, very hard to find internet cafes in Kowloon area, HK. There was a very big one upstairs near Mongkok Station but it was not there 4 weeks ago. I was told it had "moved" but no one knew where to. Any ideas? I am there again in Feb 08 and will need to email people.
Dec 11, 2007 20:01
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Hi Guest27515!

I was in Kowloon during the first week of November. The only other place I was able to use internet was at that place that sells fresh fruit juices at the International Airport. I hope someone will keep us posted. Not planning to go to Hongkong anytime soon but a girl can change her mind so I might need that info too. :-)
Dec 13, 2007 00:19
  • LIONPOWER
We can't think a moment except I-net. So need to carry a Laptop. My laptop terns me in my office where ever in the world.
Dec 15, 2007 04:40
GUEST87170 Hello! Well, I did find an internet cafe very near the Stanford Hotel (where I was staying and will again in Feb) but it was so grotty! I was really scared in it!! So I am still looking for an internet cafe in the Mongkok area... or Yau Ma Tei I guess... but the airport is too far away!
Post a Reply to: Internet habits, East vs. West
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code