Menu
Beijing After The 2008 Olympics
Nov 27, 2007 12:14
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I was in Beijing in October 2007. I enjoyed it and I am planning to go back in September 2008. Reason being, since it will be after the Olympics is over I should be able to avoid the Olympics crowd by then. It should also be a little warmer. Although I live in one of the coldest states in America, I want it warm and sunny but not burning on my vacation. Another thing that I am counting on is that by September, everything shouldn’t be ridiculously pricey. We’re talking airlines, hotels, etc. Am I doing good assumptions here or maybe I am wrong?

I wanted to get to that New Terminal. Anybody knows what airlines would use it?

I made a promise to someone in China that I will be back. I made a promise to Lady Great Wall that I will see her again. LOL! What? You were thinking it’s a person? ^_^”
Nov 28, 2007 12:46
  • MYSHERI
friends of mine just came back from beijing as well. they brought me back some really cute souvenirs promoting the beijing 2008 olympics. i think it will be fantastic next year! i plan on going too.

For all the travelers out there, visit http://www.lowfares.com/ to find the cheapest flights.
Apr 15, 2008 12:13
  • LEON8ME
Is the Olympic inflated pricey fever just in the major cities and tourist areas, or is it widespread all over the countryside ? I'm thinking of a visit to some towns in Guangxi in June, and I'm wondering what to expect. I don't want anything to do with the Olympic crowds.
Apr 16, 2008 03:45
GUEST23919 I am also going to Beijing in september and am wondering the same thing, will the crowd be gone..?
Apr 16, 2008 10:27
  • JABAROOTOO
The Olympics may be over but don't forget the Paralympics will follow on in september from 6th to 17th so it may not be so quiet after all.

Prices in other areas of China should be normal throughout the year although several weeks before and after the Olympics there are sure to be more people travelling to the popular locations.
Apr 23, 2008 21:53
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Thank you, Jabarootoo. ^_^

Are they going to hold the Paralympics in Beijing? Is this also an international event? This means I have to avoid September 6 – 17. If it is in Beijing, I can go to other cities on those dates.

Another question: I really, really want to see the National Day celebration in Beijing but I keep hearing that traveling would be a nightmare. Would I still have a hard time even though I will book my plane and train tickets in advance? Would it be hard to get around using subways, buses and taxis in Beijing during that one week?
Apr 24, 2008 03:09
  • JABAROOTOO
Shegottobe,

Yes the Paralympics is an International event and everything new in Beijing has been built with them in mind. i.e. Disability "user friendly"

If you are intent on being in Beijing for the National Day celebrations just be sure to have your accommodation booked in advance and arrive three or four days early. Once you are on the ground things are not so bad. It is the travelling between cities that is the issue simply because so many people are on the move. The best options are to fly in and out. Doing this you can avoid the train and bus station crowds but timing is critical because the price of flights goes up a day or two before and remains high for most of the week.

Enjoy your visit.
Post a Reply to: Beijing After The 2008 Olympics
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code