Menu
Chinese idioms learning (2)
Dec 1, 2007 01:54
  • ZOEY
Here are today's two idioms: 画蛇添足 (Hua 4 She 2 Tian 1 Zu 2) and 滥竽充数 (Lan 4 Yu 2 Chong 1 Shu ).

No.1 画蛇添足 (Hua 4 She 2 Tian 1 Zu 2). In English, it refers to "Draw a snake and add feet to it----to ruin the effect of something by adding something superfluous."

History: An official in ancient state of Chu gave a bottle of wine to those men who came to help him after Spring Sacrifice Ceremony. One man said:" There is only one bottle of wine and it is not enough for us but for a person to drhink. Let's have a drawing competition: the one who first finish drawing a snake will get the bottle of wine." Other men agreed on his suggestion.

A man finished drawing the snake. When taking the wine, he saw others had not finished yet. He said;" You see, I am the first who has finished drawing the snake and you haven't finished it yet. I still have time to add feet to the snake." Then he started adding feet to the snake. However, another man finished drawing the snake and seized the wine from his hands. He said:" Do you ever see a snake with feet? The snake doesn't have feet at all." Then he started drinking the wine. The man who first finished drawing the snake felt regretful for adding feet to the snake.

Can you understand it clearly? What does it tell us?

Dec 1, 2007 02:21
  • ZOEY
No.2 滥竽充数 (Lan 4 Yu 2 Chong 1 Shu 4). It means:"Pretending to Play the Yu to Retain His Position in the Orchestra."

Story: During the Warring States (475-221 BC), a King of Qi was very fond of the Yu (a kind of musical instrument). He had raised about three hundred musicians to play for him everyday.

A guy named Mr. Nanguo knew that the king liked the Yu very much and treated those musicians very well so that he intended to join them. Actually, he couldn't play the Yu at all. But he knew that the king liked those musicians to play the Yu together. If he joined them, he just need to pretend playing the Yu and no one would notice that he couldn't play the Yu.

Several years had passed and those other musicians hadn't found out that Mr. Nanguo could not play the Yu because he pretended very well.

Unluckily, the king died one day and his son succeeded the throne. The new king has the same hiabit like his father---being very fond of the Yu. However, he did not like those musicians playing together for him. He preferred to let them play for him one by one. This made Mr. Nanguo feel very worried. Finally, he escaped from the palace and never came back.

Do you understand it? We usually use this idiom to depict those who do not have competence or ablity but pretend that they can whatever you require.

Dec 1, 2007 08:27
Very good ones! The first is like 'Gilding the Lily' in english - adding gold to something which needs no improvement
Dec 4, 2007 01:09
  • ZOEY
Travellermike, it seems that you have understood those two idioms. Congratulations to you! BTW, I have learned some English idioms with your help. Will you keep on telling me more English idioms that have the similar meaning with those Chinese idioms I've written?
Post a Reply to: Chinese idioms learning (2)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code