Menu
Life in Zunyi?
Dec 2, 2007 22:28
  • GEOFW
I've recently moved to Zunyi with my Chinese wife, we are starting an English language school here, it is her home city. I'd like to make contact with any English speaking people here. There doesn't seem to be too many westerners around, hardly any and I get many curious looks. Crystal my wife speaks good English but it would be great to make contact with others. Like to find out more about this city and what's going on here too. Can anyone help?
Geof
Dec 2, 2007 22:37
  • JABAROOTOO
Dear Geof,
Welcome to China.You could try this little exercise.
Google 'teaching English Zunyi Guizhou' and you will find a few of the schools looking for or employing foreigners.

Your wife can then find out where they are and make a few inquiries. Or visit a couple of the big Universities and ask if there are any English corners you can join or other places that foreigners 'hang out' nearby.

Students are often the best source of information I have found

All the best
Dec 2, 2007 22:52
  • GEOFW
Hi, thanks for your comments. Finding work is not the problem, just finding out what's on and if I can make contact with westerners. My wife is a great girl but I have to at present rely on her for everything. Just trying to make a few enquiries of my own. I'm sure in time, I will make contact with other English speakers, western or Chinese.
Best wishes
Geof
Dec 4, 2007 09:02
GUEST30140 Geof,
I was in Zunyi last week with the US Olympic boxing team. We had a dual meet with China and one with Kazakhstan. We were there for four days. As I walked around town, I felt the same as you in that there are no westerners around and also got many stares. At the arena for the boxing, we were treated like stars. All of the people wanted our autographs and have their picture taken with us. It was nice. The people were very friendly. In Beijing, the people were friendly and nice as well but we were not the novelty we were in Zunyi.
Good luck with your school and living in Zunyi.
Jim
Jan 7, 2008 21:02
GUEST10499 Hi Goef,
I am in Zunyi presently, this is the second time i am coming here. I am from Cameroon . I really find it difficult with the looks from the people. Some are friendly though. Its not easy to find foreigners here as you said.Anyway, only time will tell. Besides I have taught english in three different universies in the southern part of china( Guangzhou) during my three year stay in China.
Hope we meet soon and talk more about your school.
Kind regards.
En
Mar 18, 2012 14:20
GUEST65112 Hi Geoff,

On 2 December 2008 you wrote about your settling with your Chinese wife in Zunyi and setting up an English Language School. I hopo you have succeeded.
I just happened to come across your mail from that date and since time is an illusion, anyway I decided to react.
In August I am - after 39 years - retiring from teaching English language and literature in Holland. 39 years of Grammar school teaching is enough. I am entitled to early retirement. I started studying Mandarin Chinese some 18 months ago. My teacher is a lady from Shang Hai who married an English speaking Dutchman and settled in Holland. Just over a year ago I started a SKYPE friendship with a lady from Zunyi.
If you could use an experienced, university educated teacher of English as a foreign language (who was also taught German and French at secondary school) I might be tempted to put off full retirement for the time being.
Life in Zunyi? Why not!

With kind regards,
Dick Visscher, (hotmail.com|hgsmenheiniot)
Feb 12, 2015 10:54
GUEST96177 Hi Geof,

Hi I am Steve. I have visited Zunyi two times and did not see any westerners. My wife is from Zunyi. I too was stared at a lot. I have thought about living in Zunyi in the future, but have wondered if I could handle not seeing or talking to a westerner ever. Hope you find some westerners, let me know.
Mar 24, 2015 21:19
GUEST59134 I am going to be moving to Zunyi soon to teach English. I would like to get to know some people who have been there or living there. It seems like a very nice place. I use Skype so feel to contact me as well through that: Jujitsu82.
Jan 9, 2017 08:59
GUEST67194 Hey geof.
Im posting this also i think its been a while and you may have changed all your standards.
Im an ESL teacher currently in Istanbul.
Planning to come to china and destiny is bringing me to zunyi.
So i would like to see if there are any chances of us working together.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Amin.

Ps: my email add will be.
gmail.com|Amin.khorasani.li
Apr 15, 2017 05:19
GUESTDANIEL Hi ..my name is Daniel English teacher ..I'm currently in Zunyi ..I'm looking for someone to talk ..😔..anyone still in Zunyi ?
hotmail.it|daniele.cacace
Wechat:daniele cacace
May 27, 2017 04:08
GUESTRCROWLAND I will be coming to Zunyi in September to teach english for a year. Im from Liverpool in the UK.
I would like to make contact with anyone still in the area when i arrive.

Kind regards
Rhiannon

My email is hotmail.com|rc.rowland
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Life in Zunyi?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code