Menu
US's dream came true!
Dec 4, 2007 03:15
  • KATRINA
Yesterday, the final of Davis Cup ened in US and US did not disappoint their supporters and defeated Russia 4 to 1 to claim the champions. It is the 32nd time that US has claimed the champions of Davis Cup. Unluckily, US hasn't seized the champions since 1995. This time, their dream came true and champions belong to them. During yesterday's games, Roddick did not appear at the tennis court. Instead of him, Bryan brothers, Bob and Mike played Men's singles. Actually, they are double players.

Wow, glad to know these two tennis players.

Dec 4, 2007 19:48
  • KEVIN0518
Quote: Wow, glad to know these two tennis players.

You have started to make up tennis knowledge. That is good.
Dec 5, 2007 00:06
  • CANADAGUY
>>Wow, glad to know these two tennis players. <<

Katrina can you name all five men in the picture?
:)

Hint: the 'older' guy on the left is no longer playing on the ATP tour.
Dec 5, 2007 19:30
  • KATRINA
CANADAGUY, I will try. If I gave wrong names, please correct them. Those two guy who held the cup must be Bryan brothers (Bob and Mike). On the right is Roddick. Beside Roddick is a black guy. I did not remember his name. The 'older' guy is the coach (just make a guess)?
Dec 6, 2007 08:41
  • APAULT
They SHOULD win it Every year...they have more top players than any other nation. Why don't they? !!
Dec 6, 2007 13:32
  • CANADAGUY
>>They SHOULD win it Every year...they have more top players than any other nation. Why don't they? !!<<

Yes you are right Paul. Good question.
Dec 6, 2007 13:37
  • CANADAGUY
>>..Those two guy who held the cup must be Bryan brothers (Bob and Mike). On the right is Roddick. Beside Roddick is a black guy. I did not remember his name. The 'older' guy is the coach (just make a guess)?<<

Very good Katrina!
The black guy next to Roddick is James Blake.

The older guy is the present Captain of the U.S. Davis Cup team, Patrick McEnroe. Patrick is the younger brother of John McEnroe.
Dec 6, 2007 18:58
  • KATRINA
Thanks, CANADAGUY. But I am not familiar with those three guys? Can you teach me more about Patrick McEnroe, John McEnroe and James Blake? Did they win some important prize in tennis?
Dec 6, 2007 20:45
  • CANADAGUY
>>Thanks, CANADAGUY. But I am not familiar with those three guys? Can you teach me more about Patrick McEnroe, John McEnroe and James Blake? Did they win some important prize in tennis?<<

Sure.

John McEnroe is the most famous of the three guys. He was one of the world's best men's tennis players in the early 1980's. He also played on many Davis Cup teams back then. He had, and still has a very explosive, fiery temper that got him in lots of trouble.

His younger brother Patrick was a very successful doubles tennis player.

They both became millionaires as a result of their tennis skills and endorsements.

Today they both are TV commentators for big tennis matches. John also plays some matches on the Seniors Tennis Circuit.

James Blake is a very talented and successful U.S. tennis player, though not in the same league as John McEnroe was. James too has become a millionaire through his tennis winnings.
He is 27 years old now and probably still has a few more years of professional tennis before he calls it quits.

Dec 9, 2007 20:58
  • KEVIN0518
To be honest, I am not familiar with Patrick McEnroe and James Blake and even did not know they once were top tennis players in the world. I should make up tennis classes too.
Post a Reply to: US's dream came true!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code