Menu
New York Times article on China by Shanghai commentator
Dec 12, 2007 11:50
  • GRIZ326
Yes Leonardo, I have not aired my views. I knew the article would be of interest to you and was waiting for you and other Chinese nationals to comment first.

I think it is a good thing for government to be comprised of the best and the brightest minds. We need more brilliant minds and fewer political minds in Washington. Government cronyism and corruption is universal and probably equivalent globally so people must accept that.

>>>But in the back of your mind you wonder: Perhaps it’s simply impossible for a top-down memorization-based elite to organize a flexible, innovative information economy, no matter how brilliant its members are.

...as for Chinese people NOT being flexible and innovative enough to compete... I think that is utter HOGWASH!

Knowledge combined with diligence and perseverance will always find solutions to the matters at hand.

China's space program will lead to great Chinese innovations. That's what it did in America; there is no reason to doubt China will have the same experience.

You must believe in your and your countrymen's abilities; you must have faith. It won't happen overnight, but China will succeed.

Dec 13, 2007 19:24
  • LEONARDO

"You must believe in your and your countrymen's abilities; you must have faith. It won't happen overnight, but China will succeed. "

Thanks Griz.
I have never doubt about China's success in the future. As a Chinese national, I foresee the prosperity of China in 21st century. Meanwhile, I also see the problems that may hinder China's grand dream. I have been always confident in China's future despite of the existing problems. China's future depends on the wise leadership and the support of 1.3 billion counscientious citizens. Like any other political party, CPC has some problems in its inner cell. Anyhow, CPC deserves much credit for its feat that he led 1.3 billion population out of poverty and starvation. A well-off society is awaiting 1.3 Chinese. To end my post with a popular political jargon, " the future is bright and brilliant, but the road is tortuous."
Dec 16, 2007 17:06
  • GRIZ326
I enjoyed dinner with two young women from Shanghai while at my company's Christmas party; one of them is a co-worker the other is still a student.

My co-worker actually brought up this subject - that Chinese cannot innovate because of how they are educated. I was appalled at her certainty that Chinese people cannot innovate and I chastised her for believing such nonsense.

That widely held opinion saddens me greatly. I do not know where that poisonous belief was instigated, but I know it wrongly shatters the confidence of hard-working and diligent people. I am wondering whose agenda benefits the most by under-mining the confidence of the Chinese people?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: New York Times article on China by Shanghai commentator
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code