Menu
Nanjing Massacre Memorial Reopening 13th December 2007
Dec 7, 2007 22:58
  • ELLYSE
As the subject line says, the Nanjing Massacre Memorial will be reopening on 13th December 2007, after being closed for renovations for more than a year.

Nanjing Massacre Memorial official English-language website: http://www.nj1937.org/english

This date is the customary anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre, and 2007 will be the 70th year.

I have been to this memorial at least twice before it was closed for renovation. I can only say that it is a place that any visitor to Nanjing should definitely visit. It is a place that holds a special significance for Nanjing's history and also for China's; and even more so for the tens of thousands who lost their innocent lives there. It stands as a reminder to never take peace for granted; peace that has been only been achieved after the deaths and suffering of an unthinkable amount of people. This is a memorial for those who died wanting peace, but who were unfortunately unable to enjoy it, unlike us today.

A group of friends and I will be making a trip on Thu-Fri 13-14/12 from Shanghai. If anyone is interested in joining us, or is interested in going on a later date, please feel free to contact me for more information. Email directly at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username in the subject line so that I know who you are, thanks.
Dec 7, 2007 23:19
  • ELLYSE
For travellers who read Chinese, this is another good website for information about the Nanjing Massacre: http://neverforget.sina.com.cn
Dec 8, 2007 21:00
  • LEETAHOE
where is this memorial located?
Dec 8, 2007 22:10
  • ELLYSE
Erm, in the city of Nanjing, of course. Are you asking for the exact address or...? 418 Shuiximen Dajie.
Dec 9, 2007 02:09
  • ROGERINCA
JOCELYN,

This is an important thread. So many in the world, outside of China, including most westerners, do not know/understand anything about this tragedy, which occurred on such a large scale in Nanking, in 1937; and was of course, repeated elsewhere in China, by this brutal occupation force.

I know for a fact, that the Chinese people, will never forget.

This site and this city are high on my list of Chinese cities to visit in the near future.

Thank you.
Dec 9, 2007 03:00
  • ELLYSE
Yes, I agree.

From the award-winning essay "The Rape of Nanking: A Quest For Peace" by Hann-Shuin Yew:
"The other day I ran a simple web search for the words “Holocaust genocide” and found over 7.2 million entries. “Rwanda genocide”, 7 million. “Darfur genocide”, 7 million. “Bosnia genocide”, 3.7 million. “Cambodia genocide”, 2.4 million. “Nanking genocide”. A mere one hundred thousand entries. Although the NanJing DaTuSha continues to burn in the consciousness of the Chinese and Japanese people, it receives minimal coverage in the Western world. Why?"

There were other massacres in China which were committed by the Japanese, eg in North-East China. And also the use of chemical warfare on Chinese civilians in World War Two. But these are even less known to Westerners, than the Nanjing Massacre aka Rape of Nanking.
Dec 10, 2007 09:58
  • LEETAHOE
How far is this from Shanghai? I have never heard of this tragedy but would like to see the memorial. Thank for this post and the education.
Dec 10, 2007 10:32
  • ELLYSE
Nanjing is about 2.5 hours (and 93 RMB) from Shanghai, by the fastest D trains.
Post a Reply to: Nanjing Massacre Memorial Reopening 13th December 2007
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code