Menu
South-western China Itinerary -- overwhelmed!
Dec 10, 2007 00:16
  • VALLY
Hi all,

My husband and I are hanging out in Hong Kong for a couple of rejuvenating weeks before moving inland. We'd like to see the following cities (no particular order): Lijiang, Dali, Kunming, Guilin, Longsheng (for Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces), and the island of Hainan. We plan to be in China for the next three to four weeks.

What's the best direction to take and the best mode of transportation to use without flying? We're trying to keep costs down.

Is it possible to go directly from here to Lijiang without flying (even on connecting trains) and then move back towards Hainan? Is this a good route?

Is it worth going up to Longsheng at this time of year due to the weather?

Is there anything else in this area that we should make a point of visiting?

Thanks!
Dec 10, 2007 01:24
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi

I'm sure others will reply with more detailed information, but I would recommend you check out Yangshuo whilst you are in Guilin. It's very close and a beautiful place scenery-wise, check out the travel reviews: http://community.travelchinaguide.com/traveltour/yangshuo/

I've seen photographs of the Dragon's Backbone Terraces in winter and it looks spectacular with snow and great frosts/mists. If it were me, I would risk the weather and go.

Enjoy your trip!
Dec 10, 2007 03:54
  • ELLYSE
Yeah definitely possible to go overland for all legs.
Hong Kong -- train/bus -- Guangzhou/Shenzhen -- sleeper bus -- Guilin/Yangshuo/Longsheng -- overnight train (from Guilin) -- Kunming -- overnight bus -- Lijiang -- bus -- Dali -- overnight train -- Kunming -- overnight train -- Guangzhou -- overnight train -- Haikou/Sanya
Dec 10, 2007 08:14
  • JABAROOTOO
If you are in going to Longshen then head on into southern Guizhou from Sanjiang to Congjiang up the Kaili area and check out some of the Miao and Dong areas. the people, villages and local customs are well worth stopping by for a day or two to see before heading to Kunming. Even consider some short haul bus trips during the day so you see some of the country side. Buses between larger towns and cities are very comfortable for around 4/6 hour trips and you'll see more than you would taking the overnight trains everywhere. You can stay in southern Guizhou and take the train to Kunming from Anshun or Xingyi.

Plenty of reviews on Guangxi, Guizhou and Yunnan so read them all and get yourself the LP if you've not got one yet. Southwest China is the one you'll need covering the southern provinces more thoroughly than the China issue.

It will be cold and most likely a bit wet and foggy but that just adds to the magic of the mountains and if you do get all clear weather, then it's a wonderful bonus. Enjoy yourselves.

Dec 10, 2007 11:03
  • APAULT
hey Jabs, I thought you are a Queenslander but quote...."It will be cold and most likely a bit wet and foggy but that just adds to the magic of the mountains ", you sound more like u r Scottish! (or do I mean Kiwi?) :)
Dec 11, 2007 22:58
  • VALLY
If you wanted to be somewhere nice at Christmas, say, which part of this trip would you aim for?
Dec 15, 2007 09:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Since Christmas is not a Chinese celebration you are likely to be needing something like western food so I'd head for Lijiang, Kunming, Dali or Yangshuo where you at least can experience something familiar and there is bound to be lots of other expats around to share this with if you need to. You'll likely hear carols belting out from speakers all over towns so you won't miss Christmas.

Yes Paul,
I hail from north of the border and I hate the dull cold winters here but you have to look on the bright side of things. If the weather is lousy then you can appreciate those wonderful paintings of China that always depict the Karst country shrouded in mist and cloud......... Is that not southern China in a nutshell????

I've experienced both clear and cloudy and they both have their charms but give me the sun any day.
Post a Reply to: South-western China Itinerary -- overwhelmed!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code