Menu
Really a white lie
Dec 10, 2007 03:18
  • ZOEY
Meng Xiangbin? Most of us do not know him at all. The news said that he sacrificed his life to save a girl who jumped off a bridge to drown herself. What moved us is that about 30,000 people who were from Jinhua in Zhejiang Province came to his home to attend his funeral ceremony.

In oder not to hurt Meng's parents, people living in their village made a white lie to them. They cut off the telephone and cable TV lines, stopped those who wanted to condole with his parents and pretended as nothing had happened when seeing Meng's parents. Why? Meng's parents both have serious heart problems. Those villagers are afraid that they could not bear the reality if they knew the news.

What do you think of this white lie? If you were a villager, will you make a white lie like others or just tell Meng's parents the truth?

Dec 10, 2007 11:45
  • JCNILE123
So, what happened after they find out about the truth?
I suppose they do not die.
If so, why lie?
Dec 10, 2007 15:00
  • GRIZ326
I do not understand.

Are you saying that Meng tried to save the girl's life and sacrificed his own life?

Did he save the girl?
Did they both drown?

I do not understand why the community would feel it necessary to protect his parents from news that their son died trying to save someone's life.

Can you explain a bit more please?
Dec 10, 2007 16:08
I think that even if the news of their son's death risks the lives of the parents by the grief it causes, they should not be denied the knowledge of his heroism.
Dec 12, 2007 19:12
  • ZOEY
To answer your question, Griz, Meng saved the girl's life. But finally he died and the girl is in hospital now. Since Meng's parents both have heart problems, the community just made a lie to them and worried that the news of their son's death might put their lives at risk. But they finally got the news. We can't use paper to wrap up fire.
Post a Reply to: Really a white lie
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code