Menu
Spring Festival travel - should I allow extra travel time?
Dec 11, 2007 18:55
  • GRIZ326
I know the Chinese travel infrastructure is maxed-out during big holidays.

I have booked flights from Guangzhou to Nanning and back. The flight to Nanning is the Sunday before the festival begins and I am not worried about this flight...

It is the flight back that has me concerned. I leave Saturday 2/16 at 21:00. Is it safe to trust my morning flight from Nanning to Guangzhou to get me there...or should I reschedule it to leave on Friday just to be safe. I do not want to miss the plane back to the States.
Dec 23, 2007 05:15
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Sigh. . .

I envy your upcoming trip, Steve. Actually I envy anybody heading to China, it brings pleasant memories that seem like they were yesterday yet they were almost a year ago.

As for the travel warning I couldn't tell ya anything, but I have a relative who travels back to Guilin every year he never travels back during the Spring Festival because of how crazy it is so he leaves the 2nd week of Jan and returns in early March. I know it may be of no use but I just wanted to throw that out here.

Goodluck on your trip, Steve.
Danny
Dec 23, 2007 10:41
  • GRIZ326
Well Danny, I guess it will be an adventure.

I've never been in China during a festival, so this will be an experience!
Jan 2, 2008 03:31
  • MTHOPESCH
Good luck, it will be crowded. But try somple temple fairs in Beijing, best is at Baiyunguan.
Markus
Jan 2, 2008 08:05
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Griz,

New Year is the 7th and the peak week begins on Saturday the 2nd (price hikes and peak travel)

Nanning is not one of those places high on the list of favoured destinations so it should be very pleasant coming and going.

Things will be a little better by the 16th. Still busy but if you have your tickets, no worries.

I can't get out until the second so I got stung with 40% hike. Should have booked earlier I guess!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your visit.
Jan 2, 2008 10:39
  • APAULT
I think you will be OK Griz as the planes are generally pretty good time keeping and all seats will be booked out in advance. If you do local trips I prefer buses in the peak time...the bus stations are chaotic but it's a case of get there early and fight for a ticket - some athletic types choose to walk on shoulders, but I haven't tried it personally. Once you have a ticket head straight for the bus ignoring the time printed on the ticket as it will go as soon as it is full, and if you arenn't there someone else will be put on. So as you know, it's just like a normal day but a bit (?) busier!!
Jan 2, 2008 11:28
  • GRIZ326
Thank you. I decided to pre-book my flights with our hosts. It costs a bit more, but I have the peace of mind and no travel worries.:-)
Post a Reply to: Spring Festival travel - should I allow extra travel time?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code